You do not have permission to open the application "Microsoft Update Assistant.app". Error

nsbickhart
Contributor

Just wondering if anyone has filed a case with Microsoft in regards to the error messages below.  We noticed this happening when trying to push the last 2 versions of office365.  Hoping to get a case# so that we can refer to it.  

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 6.48.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-08 at 6.47.50 AM.png

5 REPLIES 5

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Yes. I saw that back in August when I had a policy to install Office 2019 and or the individual VL apps. What many have found to be effective is including the Microsoft Autoupdater as a separate pkg in that same policy. The other alternative is to push a config profile using the built in payloads provided by Jamf to prevent MAU from opening after an installation of 2019 or 365.

hodgesji
Contributor

We have also seen this with the last 2 package updates for MS AutoUpdater. I haven't filed it, but would be interested to know if others have a case # as well!

colorenz
Contributor

Workarround for us start it in the User Context after the Office Install an kill it. We use this command as a Files and Process Command in a Policie.

UserName=$(ls -la /dev/console | cut -d " " -f 4) ; sudo -u $UserName open /Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft\ AutoUpdate.app; sleep 5 ; killall "Microsoft AutoUpdate"

https://macadmins.slack.com/archives/C07UZ1X7B/p1630064267024300?thread_ts=1630058894.023500&cid=C07...

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

What I did was go to /Library/Application Support/Microsoft and deleted the MAU2.0 folder and re-install the auto-updater package. 

nsbickhart
Contributor

Just pushed 16.54 to a catalina device and a big sur device without the workaround.  I think they fixed it.