You don't have permission to use the applications "ksadmin" and "GoogleSoftwareUpdate"

rebelati
New Contributor II

Anyone have an idea of what I can whitelist to keep these error messages from popping up? I know that it is Google trying to keep itself updated (which is fine) but the error messages appear on every Chrome launch and about once an hour after that. We have staff members in a configuration profile set up with Restrictions, but I have added the following folders to the Allowed Folders list with no effect:

/Library/Google/
~/Library/Google/
~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate
~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon.app
~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ksadmin.app
~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ksfetch.app
~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app
/private/
/private/tmp/

1 REPLY 1

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@rebelati i know you already know this from slack, but in case others find this, Google did update their site with a way to supposedly stop updates. In my testing (chrome 66 and chrome 69), it stops the ksadmin prompts but not the GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent prompts.

Please consider starring if you'd like to see Chrome stop launching app out of /Users: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=889150