Zoom Patch Policy

jeepgirl95
New Contributor III

I create a Zoom Patch Policy and added the relevant .pkg to it. It is currently only scoped to one test machine. When the policy runs, it just runs Zoom and brings up the installer for the end-user to install. Because the end-user doesn't have admin rights, they are not able to complete the install.

Logs show:

Executing Patch Policy zoom.us
Installing Zoom 4.3.59242.0310.pkg....
true
installer: Package name is Zoom
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install was successful
Successfully unmounted share Caspershare

However, all I get interactively that the Zoom installer comes up to prompt the end-user to install. The test machine is on 10.13.6168ef62afd6b418ba38241d1888dc4d8
69be26a5555447e2bb3fa15dab270712
60905955dd114f219bbaebc4c077eaad
9839292c439245cc813e1dfc47898f1b

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

11 REPLIES 11

sharriston
Contributor III

How was the package created? Using composer and a snapshot, dragging the pkg file into admin directly, or autopkg?

jeepgirl95
New Contributor III

The pkg was downloaded directly from Zoom then dragged into admin directly then indexed.

sharriston
Contributor III

I'm wondering if the package has logic that works against jamf postinstall logic or permission issues. What I would do is install Zoom on a machine with composer, then drag it from the application folder into composer and make a package that way, this will create the package with the correct permissions and install it into the /Applications folder. The other thing I would recommend is looking into Autopkg, it's a command line tool that has greatly helped make packaging software quite easy.

jeepgirl95
New Contributor III

That was it! I installed it to my Applications then dragged that to Composer and created a package from it and it updated.

One last question - I want to retest on the same machine to ensure the package is working juuuust right before I deploy out to the company. Is there a way once the machine checks in and updates with the patch policy to remove the reference that it is complete, install an old version of zoom again and retry the patch policy again? There's got to be a log or plist or something somewhere.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@jeepgirl95 Did you happen to use the Zoom Client for IT Admins for Mac?

Learn more.

Not affiliated with zoom.us in any way.

jeepgirl95
New Contributor III

@ryan.ball No, I just used the straight installer from the Zoom website. That is all working good now.

What I'm trying to do now is to remove the updated version, install an older version and attempt to patch again. But when I do this, it says there are no patch policies though the machine is in scope. Is there a file or folder I need to modify/delete to get the machine to 'see' the patch policy as available and install the updated version again?

JustDeWon
Contributor III

@jeepgirl95 You can just flush the log on that policy to re-install

jeepgirl95
New Contributor III

@JustDeWon

I don't show that option in the jamf console to do that for a Patch Policy... I know how to do it for a regular policy, but not a patch policy.

sharriston
Contributor III

Delete the app and reinstall the older version then run a recon.

JustDeWon
Contributor III

@jeepgirl95 , it would help if I read this properly huh? Sorry about that. But if you installed the older version, then running a jamf recon to update the inventory, should place your computer back in scope. I don't use the patch policies, but I'm just going off what I would think logically makes sense

jeepgirl95
New Contributor III

Thanks all! I was missing doing the recon. That made things work so much better and faster. All is tested and ready for deployment.

Thanks again!