App order not the same after setting teacher restrictions

markus1
New Contributor II

Hi,

the preview of the following post seems to be the topic, I am searching for, but on opening it, I get an error with ID: 5642DCC6. So I open a new one.

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-school/unsorted-display-of-apps-by-app-hiding-locking-in-jamf-tea...

After setting app restrictions in the teacher and releasing it manually or automatically after a time period the order of all other apps - also private apps - is not the same as before.

Has anybody the same issues and maybe knows how to prevent this?

Jamf support is not directly available to us and our reseller can not help in this case.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Liminality
New Contributor

In my experience this is normal behavior. The apps are not just "hidden". When they restrictions are removed, all the apps come back in a random order on the screen. Most of our students have given up on placing their apps in folders, because their teacher's restrictions will place them back on the home screen in a random order. 

Bonus weirdness: We use webclips, and when a teacher's restrictions are removed, our webclips duplicate themselves. The solution? reboot the device or reset the home screen in settings. 

MIB
New Contributor III

Liminality is right, this is a normal behavior. Because of security reasons Apple doesn't save/share the icon information and so its always a complete mess. Even complete blank homescreens are possible. A workarround is, when you just stick to one single app then it stays as it is. We discoverd this when using only a Dictionary or Goodnotes like in single app mode. The second you add a second app the apps get scattered arround.

Real solution... tell the students to just deal with it. Searching apps is most of the time faster than swiping arround.

markus1
New Contributor II

Okay, thank you for sharing your experiences. I hope, Apple knows this fact and is working on it.