Auto-lock/lost mode device after given time (not connected to specific wifi)

Thore
New Contributor

Hey guys,

first post here so I hope I'm correct :)

It happened a couple of times a student left the school and no one passed that information through to IT so we weren't able to put the device in lost mode and the student would return it.

Now our plan is that the devices auto-lost mode after a given time when not connected to our schools wifi (our school has multiple SSIDs depending on the location). From my experience that would be possible in other MDM solutions like Citrix XenMobile, but I haven't found anything similar in jamf school. 

Is that even possible, if so, how? If not, how do you manage these types of situation? We're still in the process of digitizing the whole progress, so please be gentle :D

Really appreciate your help

2 REPLIES 2

mh-jena
Contributor

The Jamf Api would be a good place for this function. Unfortunately there is no endpoint for enabling or disabling lostmode.

Currently it is only a manual action. So a mass action on the device list e.g. based on a smart group would be conceivable (device longer than not connected. This does not consider however yet the region. but importantly still an extra information that it is to be evenly this to the autolock, thus still any affiliation to an autolock group...).

Such a function does not exist in Jamf School.

My wish would be an api endpoint for controlling the lost mode. Because then this function could be implemented independently.

idea: Script with database periodically queries the device info (region not in allowed_regions, lastCheckin > lock_time_delta, "auto-lock-group" in groups) and then -> lock the device.

AntD
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Great idea and "out of the box" thinking to work with the API endpoints we do have available to us