Jamf School Teacher app - lesson not allowing certain apps

cmax
New Contributor II

We are trying to use Jamf Teacher (v6.2.9) to only allow certain apps during a Leason.

When we run a pre-configured Leason, only some of the apps set to be allowed appear on the student iPads.

Example: we allow MS Teams and Garage Band apps, but only MS Teams app appears, the Garage Band app is nowhere to be found.

I have tested this on iPads with iOS 16.7.2 and 17.1.0, yet many of apps (all on the latest version) do not appear on the Student iPads when set to Allowed.

8 REPLIES 8

MatPullen
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Is the GarageBand app automatically deployed to the student device, or as a self service download?

Product Marketing Manager for Education
Jamf Educator

cmax
New Contributor II

GarageBand is automatically deployed to all iPads. On the iPads I tested the GarageBand app is working and on the latest version, as is the teacher's iPad. 

When starting a Lesson where the GarageBand app is allowed, it just vanishes off the student's iPad, and can neither be run by searching for the app. 

MatPullen
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Just tried replicating your approach and the apps are all showing on my device.  Let me dig in a little to see what I can find out 

Jamf Educator

cmax
New Contributor II

The apps I tested so far are:

Working: All MS Apps, Doodle Spell, PicCollage, Stop Motion, LynxWhiteboard.

Not appearing: GarageBand, Doodle Maths/Times Table/Spelling.

cmax
New Contributor II

We do use the Layout function to group the app on the iPads, but iMovie and GarageBand are in the same Layout folder, yet only iMovie appears when the Lesson starts

MatPullen
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

When you deploy the Lesson, does it take the apps out of the folders? 

Jamf Educator

cmax
New Contributor II

Yes, the GarageBand and Doodle icons are removed from their respective Create and Doodle folders.

And every time the Lesson ends the Web Clips from the Websites folder are multiplied onto the Home screen, so we now have multiple copies from the Web Clips folder filling up the Home screen.

Jamf Teacher icons.jpg

cmax
New Contributor II

I created a brand-new profile and freshly reloaded some iPads to test the Teacher app function again. Unfortunately some apps still do not show, yet the same apps show perfectly when using Apple Classroom. Also the Web Clips just keep multiplying on the homescreen. I have now completely removed 2 of the Web Clips from the Profile but the icons still remain on the Homescreen, albeit without the picture icon I previously uploaded for them. 

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the Jamf Teacher app and Web clips properly working please do let me know as we have now run out of ideas or work arounds.