Buying jamf locked Mac book pro 14

ezgod87
New Contributor

Hi, someone is selling Mac book pro in fb marketplace and the price is very reasonable and in my price range. Seller added a note saying that the device is jamf locked. I really don’t know what jamf means and Is it okay to buy the jamf locked Mac and is there away to unlock the Mac?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

It means the device is likely stolen.

• How does a device get out like this? 95% of the times its stolen. Sometimes a device is sold to a reseller by the organization and the organization forgot to release the device. Running down who at the organization can release a device is much more trouble than its worth in the event a device is not actually stolen. 
  • If you are familiar with Activation Lock, you have the general concept of locked to JAMF (MDM Automated Device Enrollment). Rather than being locked by someones AppleID, the device is assigned to an Organization in something called Apple Business Manager. Apple will force the device to that organizations MDM (JAMF) instance until the organization releases the device, if you don't have the correct credentials you cannot activate macOS. There is no way around this.

My advice, run for the hills and stay clear of this device.

View solution in original post

piotrr
Contributor III

I'm just chiming in with everything AJPinto said. 

It's sus as heck and only the previous, actual owner can unlock the mac. You can't do it, the seller can't do it, an apple repair shop can't do it and Apple will not do it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

It means the device is likely stolen.

• How does a device get out like this? 95% of the times its stolen. Sometimes a device is sold to a reseller by the organization and the organization forgot to release the device. Running down who at the organization can release a device is much more trouble than its worth in the event a device is not actually stolen. 
  • If you are familiar with Activation Lock, you have the general concept of locked to JAMF (MDM Automated Device Enrollment). Rather than being locked by someones AppleID, the device is assigned to an Organization in something called Apple Business Manager. Apple will force the device to that organizations MDM (JAMF) instance until the organization releases the device, if you don't have the correct credentials you cannot activate macOS. There is no way around this.

My advice, run for the hills and stay clear of this device.

piotrr
Contributor III

I'm just chiming in with everything AJPinto said. 

It's sus as heck and only the previous, actual owner can unlock the mac. You can't do it, the seller can't do it, an apple repair shop can't do it and Apple will not do it.