jamf Connect window blank after a while on a newly enrolled device

k0_bgf
New Contributor III

Hi everyone!

I have enrolled a MacBook (Apple Silicon) via PreStage Enrollment with jamf Connect and Google as IDP.

After a fresh enrollment the Google Login window shows up, everything is fine.

However the window stays blank and an error occurs when I don't log in initially. After a few days I finally try to log in with a Google Account I get an error message:

your mac is not connected to a network try using local login 

and

an error occurred contact your it administrator

When I boot into recovery mode the Wi-Fi is connected.

I still can send MDM commands (Lock Computer etc.).

Any ideas why jamf Connect won't work if I don't use immediately it after a fresh installation with prestage enrollment?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

k0_bgf
New Contributor III

I think I found the problem and it was a little bit stupid🙈

There is a smartgroup for excluding the configuration file with

com.jamf.connect.login PLIST

for computers that have the Company's name as a prefix.

Additionally we have shell script that renames the computers automatically adding the prefix and the serial number. So once the computer receives the prefix it will be added to the smart group and the jamf Connect login window doesn't show up anymore.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

No reason not to unless your wifi network is using a captive portal that either requires a login or it times out after a defined period. Is this a one off test client i.e. your first one using Connect or do you have it working successfully elsewhere?

k0_bgf
New Contributor III

thank you for your answer!

I don't have a captive portal or anything. The Wi-Fi is connected (I can check it in Recovery mode) and the computer receives MDM commands successfully. I also pushed another Wi-Fi SSID/password via configuration profile but not luck.

I already have one client using Connect successfully. The problem occurs when I don't use the Google login for the first time within a certain period of time. If I log in after the enrollment right away everything works fine. If I don't log in and shut down the computer instead the login windows won't work after a week or so (the next day after enrollment/reinstallation Google was still available in the jamf Connect login window so I don't know how many days exactly it takes after it's blank and it says that the mac is not connected)

k0_bgf
New Contributor III

one more observation: the Wi-Fi icon in the upper right corner doesn't show up.

k0_bgf
New Contributor III

I think I found the problem and it was a little bit stupid🙈

There is a smartgroup for excluding the configuration file with

com.jamf.connect.login PLIST

for computers that have the Company's name as a prefix.

Additionally we have shell script that renames the computers automatically adding the prefix and the serial number. So once the computer receives the prefix it will be added to the smart group and the jamf Connect login window doesn't show up anymore.