PreStage Enrollment - Policy to enable ARD and apply previous computer name

MattF-TX
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I'm familiarizing myself with PreStage Enrollments, and while for the most part it's going well, there are a couple things I was hoping to get some feedback on.

The first may be a simple setting that I'm just missing - applying a Mac's previous name once the enrollment is complete (or during if that's where it needs to take place).  For example if I had a Mac called "Mac-99" that's in my Jamf Pro system, and I wipe it, once the PreStage Enrollment is complete (or during) is there a way to apply it's previous computer name "Mac-99" to it?  Right now, it gets placed back into it's previous groups, and it get its previous Config Profiles applied back to it.  However it does not receive its previous name, and now has the default macOS assigned name of "iMac".

The second conundrum I'm facing it trying to get a post-enrollment script to run that correctly enables ARD, and grants all access to the local admin account that gets created during the enrollment.  The account gets created, and works (I can login with it and it is an admin account), however I have scoured the inter webs and tried many different scripts that folks have suggested, and none seem to work.  Once it's reporting into Jamf, I can select "Enable Remote Desktop" from the Management category, which does work at simply activating ARD, but that alone of course does not grant any user access.  What I'm needing is for a Mac (once done with the PreStage Enrollment) to have ARD activated, and grant the local admin account access to ARD with full permissions.

Again I've tried numerous scripts, some even from here in other Jamf Community posts, however none are working.

Macs are all running Monterey by the way.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MattF-TX
New Contributor II

I do indeed - thanks for asking.

Another Jamf user PM'd me and I was able to chat with them this morning.  I was missing a key component when attempting to get ARD activated with a Config Profile during the PreStage Enrollment - which was granting com.apple.screensharing.agent the needed access via a PPPC payload within one of the Config Profiles I included in the enrollment.  Most likely the ARD access and permissions settings were getting applied, but it was fruitless since ARD itself did not have the needed to function that is granted via the PPPC payload.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MattF-TX
New Contributor II

EDIT - I found what I was missing as far as applying the previous computer name, by creating a Policy that runs post-enrollment that resets the computer name to match it's Jamf entry - so all good there :-)

Now if I can just get the ARD stuff to work........

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If I am following your ARD request correctly, I dont think its possible. With macOS Catalina Apple removed the ability to enable (kick start) Screen Recording from any method other than via the GUI. The only exemption to this is using the MDM Command to Enable Remote Desktop.

Enable remote management for Remote Desktop - Apple-support (SE)

MattF-TX
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.  I am able to get ARD enabled by either creating a policy that runs a script post-enrollment, or by selecting the "Enable Remote Desktop" button from client's management tab once enrolled.  However, the main issue is granting ARD access and setting the ARD permissions for the local admin account that gets created during the enrollment.

I'm looking into possible solution and will definitely post back with an update.

Matt

leesl
New Contributor

Do you have an update on this?

MattF-TX
New Contributor II

I do indeed - thanks for asking.

Another Jamf user PM'd me and I was able to chat with them this morning.  I was missing a key component when attempting to get ARD activated with a Config Profile during the PreStage Enrollment - which was granting com.apple.screensharing.agent the needed access via a PPPC payload within one of the Config Profiles I included in the enrollment.  Most likely the ARD access and permissions settings were getting applied, but it was fruitless since ARD itself did not have the needed to function that is granted via the PPPC payload.