Script to detect all known 3rd party anti-virus software running

dng2000
Contributor II

Has anyone wrote a script for Macs that can help detect all known 3rd party anti-virus software that are still running as a service?

3 REPLIES 3

Mattdjerome
New Contributor II

you'd be better off aggregating a list since there are so many of them and checking for them in a smart group or EA. I know not the answer you're looking for but probably the least bad option.

That's exactly what I'm doing in my environment for almost 2 years.  I just need to enhance it to something that shows a message "You must remove ${avsolution} before installing..." for my organization's student population so they don't jam up the help desk phones with "I can't install..." or "I can't find... in Self Service".  That's my idea behind this post and scripting is the best way to accomplish that.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

JAMF can see just about anything on a device, but it has to be told what to look for. Unfortunately "tell me all AV's that are installed is too vague", we are not at the ChatGPT level of data collection yet. You would need to tell JAMF specifically what the apps/services/daemons/etc it is looking for are.

If your environment is not BYOD, I suggest just locking down the students ability to install software. If your environment is BYOD put a message about removing all AV's in User-initiated enrollment > Messaging.