Simple Backup solutions? TimeMachine or SuperDuper

freedomforpears
New Contributor

Running a managed MBP and iMac and was wondering what a simple solution would be to backup my machines. I realize most of my data is in iCloud (and the cloud) but as of late I've had to reinstall my apps and it's a royal pain - even though some of then were on the App Store some were not and one has to hunt down old serial numbers and find the actual place where you can download the software. I know there is the update feature using firewire cable but I will need to do a fresh install as it's a new MAC.

I'm thinking a simple TimeMachine backup may be ok, was wondering if superduper  (I don't really need a notable backup) would be ok too as I've used that before. I know these backup solutions work great but was wondering how adding the whole managed computer / Jamf thing into the mix would effect these backup strategies?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pete_c
Contributor III

MDM enrollments and supervision won't 'carry over' from this sort of backup - while you can use Super Duper or CCC or TM to restore apps along with data, you'd still need to re-enroll the device.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pete_c
Contributor III

MDM enrollments and supervision won't 'carry over' from this sort of backup - while you can use Super Duper or CCC or TM to restore apps along with data, you'd still need to re-enroll the device.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Generally speaking, enterprise got out of the habit of backing up workstations a very long time ago. The current "model" is to save data off device using services like iCloud, OneDrive, Etc. (or a more legacy network drive approach). TimeMachine is really not manageable beyond just blocking it, and the CLI options to engage TimeMachine leave a lot to be desired. I would suggest looking into simplifying the device standup process instead of taking snapshots.

freedomforpears
New Contributor

I'm posting as a regular user, I'm not a sysadmin just someone who works at a large organization that uses Jamf. The use case is: I order new Mac, it's received by company and goes off to IT for weeks :( for them to setup. I now get it back and need to install all my apps on it. Now say something goes wrong and they have to wipe it and now I get back the blank machine - I assume I could use a Time Machine backup or superduper. I guess the re-inrollment thing would be done by them. 

Both SD! and CCC are great.  I'm less fond of Time Machine, but it works too.

I've used the above for years with succcess.  But as others have said, generally, I don't like to clone/restore everything these days.  I like my data backed up and I build from scratch.  Apps included...

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Myself, when I have to wipe and load my device. My data is saved to OneDrive (we are a MS shop), logging back in to the MS products restores all my data. Most of my software auto installs, as does most software for my environment for all users. Configuring applications, not much can be done about that one for many applications. I moved away from snapshots of my device years ago. Last thing I want is an issue that caused me to wipe my device to come across with the snapshot.

Sounds like you may have a small environment or definite room for enhancement.