Create a Blueprint from existing Blueprint - Feature Request

duxed
New Contributor III

I have a scenario where a slight variant of an existing Blueprint would be the ideal solution.

Everything is in place with an existing Blueprint, however we have to give one device special permissions that we don't need for other devices.

However, there is no way to create a blue print based on one of our own existing blueprints. 

The business case here is that we have to now double check that all the restrictions are identical between the existing and the new blueprint - that's a lot of work to double check that.

Templates are based on "industry templates". There doesn't seem to be a way where I can take an existing Blueprint and turn that into my own template.

4 REPLIES 4

chaz
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey @duxed,

Jamf Now does support Blueprint Copies which should accomplish your end goal if I understand it correctly. Here is how you would go about copying a blueprint (towards the bottom of the article):

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-now/documentation/Blueprints_in_Jamf_Now.html

Chaz

duxed
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply, chaz. Thanks for showing me where the menu is to create the copies. 

From a UI design perspective, seeing that menu is really hard.

Disclosure triangles normally point to the right if closed and down if they are opened.

The various profiles are already listed below the name of the Blueprint. The arrow is pointing down, which could be interpreted as the Profiles listed below are part of this blueprint hierarchy. 

So for those familiar with the way disclosure triangles work, the list of Profiles already looks like the disclosed list under the Blueprint name.

In other places, the ellipsis round button is used to denote a menu.

So there is an inconsistency in the UI design. Menus are found both behind a disclosure triangle and ellipsis.

For menus that are on the top right, if you hover there is a pop up menu that briefly explains. So there is kind of a hint that there is something more. For the blueprint title, there are no hover menus. So there really is no clue that this is a menu, unless you click.

The duplication occurs when you are displaying the current blue print. The hierarchy above does have wide buttons to create a new templates. So one might start to expect that adding things comes from wide buttons on the top right.

Now that I've had a chance to critique this a bit more, my first impression would be to put a square button with ellipsis where the chevron is currently located. That should convey that there is a menu nearby...

chaz
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey @duxed,

This is great feedback that I have forwarded on to our UX team to review. Thanks again for taking the time to share this detailed writeup. 

rna2i
New Contributor

It is a nice feature that you can copy from existing blueprints, but it would also be nice if you could inherit from a standard/default blueprint. If you make changes to the standard blueprint, that would automatically reflect in the "child" blueprints. If you override a setting in the child blue print, then somehow it should reflect that it is deviating from the standard template.