Devices unrecoverably stuck in Enrolling

sm_it_admin
New Contributor

Hi!

I have a few devices with remote employees that started the JamfNow Enrollment process but got stuck somehow mid way through. So the profiles have already been installed from the blueprint but the Device page in JamfNow is super sparse without any options to unenroll or wipe and only a few of the tiles (e.g. Assigned To, Blueprint, Serial Number).  This seems to put the device into a limbo state where the user can't remove those profiles themselves, I can't change or unenroll them remotely from JamfNow, and any attempt by the user to go back through Open Enrollment to get into a good state raises errors due to the already present profiles. Anyone run into this before and find a solve other than asking the user to hard wipe and reset their laptop, which I'd really prefer to avoid given it can cause a full day of non- productivity for them? 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

TonyB-TB
New Contributor

I had something very similar on my 2nd build. Putting in a support ticket did not help.

Recovering from JAMF pro did not work until I was able to set the local admin password via the recovery bios thingy:

Press and hold the start button top right until you get to the recovery prompt.

Work your way through to the point you can reset the local admin account - you will need the code from JAMF

Once the password has been set, you can skip the OS rollback by selecting reboot, top left.

On reboot you can log in as the local admin as that account is now set and phones home to JAMF. 

In JAMF, perform a wipe and start the process again. Which then onboarded correctly the second time. 

Good luck.

Thanks!  For what it's worth, I was able to get these users to manually uninstall the original JAMF Now profiles which seems possible as they were self-enrollment laptops vs DEP enrollment.  It was a bit confusing since there were a couple of profiles and some were removable and others weren't but the primary one was removable and cleared the rest to get it back to a clean unenrolled state.