Jamf Now + Jamf Connect giving me issues. Am I missing something?

kuweihang
New Contributor

I fully intend to contact support tomorrow because I cannot find any documentation that relates to Jamf Now specifically for this issue or really anything online but I figured I'd post here and see if you guys might have any insight.

My company is going from unmanaged devices to using the Jamf Now Fundamentals package which includes Jamf Connect. I set up some managed Apple IDs and federated authentication using Azure but whenever I do a fresh install on a computer after entering the Apple ID / Microsoft login I'm then prompted to create a password for the device itself. This password does not sync to the managed Apple ID / microsoft, and furthermore it seems that the user that is created is always an admin and I am unable to change this.

This essentially makes the management useless as not only does the user have admin privileges, but if they were to forget this password I wouldn't be able to change it. Furthermore, it seems like they could simply sign out of their managed Apple ID and sign in with a different one and install whatever the hell software they want. Am I missing something?

The Jamf Connect prompt doesn't actually come up until after the setup process is complete and the desktop loads and it doesn't work anyway when I try to log in. I get an HTTP 400 error. I have tried to editing the manifest in Azure to allow regular users and admins but this seems to do nothing. Jamf Connect documentation also says that a configuration file must be created either using Jamf Pro or the configuration app which I can't seem to find anywhere.

There is a Jamf Connect profile on the device after setup but I can't figure out any way to modify it. Sorry, I know this is a lot but I'm brand new to this and I'm tearing my hair out about it.

2 REPLIES 2

Jaykrishna1
Contributor II

It sounds like you are facing a few different issues with Jamf Connect and its integration with managed Apple IDs and Azure Active Directory. Here are some suggestions that might help resolve the issues:

1. Review the configuration: Make sure that the configuration of Jamf Connect, managed Apple IDs, and Azure Active Directory is correct and meets the requirements for integration. Review the Jamf Connect documentation for any specific requirements or recommended configurations.

2. Update the manifest file: If you have edited the manifest file in Azure, double-check that the changes are correctly formatted and that the file is correctly uploaded to Azure.

3. Use the Jamf Pro configuration tool: The Jamf Connect documentation mentions the use of a configuration tool to create a configuration file. This tool is available in Jamf Pro, so you may want to log in to your Jamf Pro instance to see if it is available there.

Note that Jamf Connect can be complex to set up and troubleshoot, especially if you are new to the platform.

cenforce
New Contributor III

Hi, is a common concern among IT professionals and system administrators who rely on these software solutions to manage and secure Apple devices in their organizations. Jamf Now is a mobile device management (MDM) platform designed for small to medium-sized businesses, while Jamf Connect is an identity and access management (IAM) solution that simplifies user authentication and login processes on macOS devices. When these two systems encounter problems, it can disrupt the seamless integration and functionality expected in a modern IT environment.

Issues with Jamf Now and Jamf Connect can manifest in various ways, such as difficulties in enrolling devices, user authentication failures, synchronization problems, or conflicts with other software or configurations within the organization's network. Resolving these issues often requires a comprehensive troubleshooting approach, which may involve examining configuration settings, ensuring software updates are current, and seeking support from Jamf's customer service or user community. Despite the challenges that may arise, both Jamf Now and Jamf Connect remain valuable tools for IT professionals looking to streamline device management and enhance security in Apple-centric environments, making it worthwhile to address and resolve any issues promptly.

jamf man