10.10.3 update pkg breaks current OS install

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Have a strange issue when testing deployment of a custom 10.10.3 update pkg to 10.9.5 machines via Casper Imaging. The Casper Imaging Configuration worked perfectly with a 10.10.1 custom pkg, but now that I have replaced it with a 10.10.3 pkg when deploying via Casper Imaging, upon reboot, the screen has a dreaded prohibitory symbol on it. I've recreated the 10.10.3 pkg, thinking I did something wrong but every time, I replace the 10.10.3 with the older 10.10.1, it works fine. All custom pkgs create in combination of Rich Trouton's First Boot Install Generator and createOSXinstallPkg

7 REPLIES 7

tmaeda
New Contributor

Which version of Casper Server and Casper Imaging App are you using?
You need to be using Casper Imaging 9.65 as a minimum to install the 10.10.3 OS.

TomDay

@tmaeda We were using 9.65 for both, in the process of trying an upgrade to 9.72 since this seems to be an odd one

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

@TomDay Try using AutoDMG to create a new, never-booted base OS image - will deploy much faster than an OS X install, and works fine with JSS/Casper Imaging 9.65 and JSS/Casper Imaging 9.72:

AutoDMG

TomDay

@RobertHammen Thanks, I love AutoDMG, use it for all of our clean installs and Netboot images. However I've never gotten a dmg to work as an update to an current in Casper Imaging or Self Service. Only works for me as a pkg. If you have a method for deploying as an update not clean install, I'd love to hear it

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

OK, I was confused. You're using Casper Imaging to deploy an OS update? I wouldn't use AutoDMG for that, nor would I use Casper Imaging.

The official method is documented here - working on this at a client next week (have already uploaded the Install OS X Yosemite app/ESD, and caching it locally on clients. Use a Self Service policy to kick off the actual OS upgrade. Take note of the need to manually create a Reboot configuration (to the OS X Install ESD) in your Self Service upgrade policy:

Deploying OS X 10.7 or Later with the Casper Suite

TomDay

@RobertHammen Yes we use Self Service for deployment as well, love it. We use Casper imaging method as a supplement for those that are "too busy" to run it themselves, or have any issues with the Self Service method. We deploy via Self Service to about 75 of the population, the other 25% we do for them when they go away on vacation over the summer etc.

TomDay

I upgraded to 9.7.2 and this works properly now, thanks for the input. Now I just have to battle out how my hidden admin accounts are now gone and upon first boot after the upgrade, it goes through a new account setup