Printer Presets

khurram
Contributor III

Is it possible to push a particular print queue with Presets. We do have 2 print queues each for color and B&W. We do have paper cut installed which converts any color document to B&W but if the document bigger than like 6 pages then it is unable to convert the print job from color to B&W. So it would be easier to push each printer queue with its own Presets.

3 REPLIES 3

Jalves
Contributor

I usually create a printer preset on my packaging machine. Then I just use composer to package the .plist file created by the preset printer in the User/Library/Preferences folder. Then add to casper admin and select FUT or FET depending on how your accounts are being created. I usually add that .dmg to whichever policies are installing that printer.

jrippy
Contributor II

Yes it is. Like @Jalves said, we create a printer preset on a packaging machine (usually a VM). Then I take it one step further - I open up cups (from Terminal sudo cupsctl webinterface=on). Open a browser and point it to http://localhost:631. Set any additional settings that can't be set easily from the gui. For instance, the main change we make here is to change the standard stop-printer action on job failure to abort-job. This has reduced the number of paused printer queues we have had to deal with.

When your done, you can set the interface back to hidden (sudo cupsctl webinterface=off), then capture the printer with Casper Admin.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@khurram i'd use lpoptions & lpadmin
to create the queues as wanted.