10.10.4 OS Update from policy

tomgideon2003
Contributor

Hello!

I am needing to push out the 10.10.4 update to computers via a policy. I will be using the non-combo update since these are running 10.10.3 currently. I was wondering what is the best setup and if anyone has done this yet. Is is safe for me to download and drop the PKG from Apple right into Casper Admin?

Thank you for any advise!
-Thomas

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

How else do you handle standard software updates? This one will require a restart of course. That said, delta update is OK, but the combo update can help clear up some of those unreported issues that may be floating around your environment.

However, the BEST setup will heavily depend on your environment. We have our users install software updates, but you could take the .pkg and drag it into Casper Admin (as you asked) and set it up as a manual "Self-service" policy. You could cache it on their computers and then do the same. Set it up automatically as a policy if you like as well with a restart warning.

I'd be happy to give your a step by step on any of these if you need to. Most of it depends on your environment and your companies IT policies. Regardless, it's generally a very simple task.

View solution in original post

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

I'm deploying the Combo update (even if all of the clients are at 10.10.3), just to be sure. Deploying it as a policy triggered at Logout. I just change the Restart Options to require a restart, no matter what. Only issue I ran into was a client where there wasn't enough free disk space for the installer to run (and thus the policy failing). No weird freeze/hang at restart issues, unlike 10.10.3...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

How else do you handle standard software updates? This one will require a restart of course. That said, delta update is OK, but the combo update can help clear up some of those unreported issues that may be floating around your environment.

However, the BEST setup will heavily depend on your environment. We have our users install software updates, but you could take the .pkg and drag it into Casper Admin (as you asked) and set it up as a manual "Self-service" policy. You could cache it on their computers and then do the same. Set it up automatically as a policy if you like as well with a restart warning.

I'd be happy to give your a step by step on any of these if you need to. Most of it depends on your environment and your companies IT policies. Regardless, it's generally a very simple task.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

I'm deploying the Combo update (even if all of the clients are at 10.10.3), just to be sure. Deploying it as a policy triggered at Logout. I just change the Restart Options to require a restart, no matter what. Only issue I ran into was a client where there wasn't enough free disk space for the installer to run (and thus the policy failing). No weird freeze/hang at restart issues, unlike 10.10.3...

tomgideon2003
Contributor

Thanks for both of your replies!

@Chris_Hafner , I figured this would be the best way. I just have never used Casper for any OS updates before. I knew that many people had problems going to 10.10.3 and I was worried. I also wondered if setting up a local software update server was something that people are using instead.

I did end up doing an automatic policy that runs at logout on a group of cart laptops. It seems to be working good! I stayed with the delta (non-combo) image since I knew these are were 10.10.3. I just imaged them earlier this summer, haha!

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Nice! Yea, there are many ways to skin this particular cat! The local SUS (Software Update Server) can be a big help on the Bandwidth side of things. Personally, I've given up on running one right now and use a caching server instead. Similar thing just without the pretense of control over the update process. At the moment, Apple's end around on things like OS upgrades (Provided via MAS) makes the newly limited "control" afforded by an SUS nearly pointless in our environment.