10.11 non admin user can't print PrinterProxy (Printer Proxy)

pnbahry
New Contributor III

Under our current 10.11 non admin build for junior school students, whenever a student attempts to print they get the following error:

You don't have permission to use the application "PrinterProxy"

The PrinterProxy file that is trying to open is located in the following location:
/Users/Library/Printers/PrinterName/Contents/MacOS/PrinterProxy

/Users has been restricted from running any Applications on these machines.

I am guessing this is a El capitan/10.11 issue because I have not seen this is any of our older builds.

Has anyone else had this issue ?

Thanks
Paul

40 REPLIES 40

Jerod
New Contributor III

We are currently running into the same issue. The printers work fine on Mavericks and Yosemite, but once the system is upgraded to El Capitan the error pops up. At this point we are even allowing execution of applications from ~/Library/

pnbahry
New Contributor III

I have contacted support and they are looking into a solution hopefully.

For the time being we have two major printers we need students to use so I have the temp fix in place.

• Policy set to once per user per computer
  • Symlink ~/Library/Printers to /Applications/Printers
  • Install both Library Print Queues into /Applications/Printers (Packages for the two Printers)
  • Set permission so students can’t write to Applications/Printers

dan_mccullough
New Contributor

Hi all,

Looks like there's a fix outlined here on Apple's discussion boards -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7285187?start=0&tstart=0

pnbahry
New Contributor III

I had a look at that post before I contacted support, however I can confirm that we do not have parental controls enabled on the user's account.

I got the following response back from the guys at support:

The QA team is going to be looking into; this workaround that is in place is the best available solution for the time being.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

What about adding each user to the local print admin group? We do that so users can add home printers.

dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a everyone -t group lpadmin

pnbahry
New Contributor III

@ooshnoo The student has access to the System Preferences Pane and can add printers with no problems. However when they try and open the print queue I get the error " You don't have permission to use the application "PrinterProxy"

These machines are for our Junior School students so they do not have admin rights and using profiles we have set a restriction to Disallow Folders at /Users. This has always worked for out 10.10 clients and I am only seeing this error under 10.11 clients.

Although my work around has this working for our two main printers in the Library, I will not be able to manage this for the students personal home printers.

rcastorani
New Contributor II

@pnbahry We just released El Cap to all our students and just ran into this problem. Have you had any success with a permanent solution?

pnbahry
New Contributor III

@rcastorani The last email I received from JAMF support was:

"You'll be able to track the progress on this issue with a issue number that we'll receive when they begin to investigate; we can send that your way once it's available, and the release notes will contain updates about whether or not it's been resolved,"

I have not received anything back from them, however the more people that report the problem might help with a solution.

dentlerb
New Contributor

We are seeing the same error when students print, but the printer still prints their job. Some students don't bother to check the printer because of the error so for us it is more of an annoyance.

rcastorani
New Contributor II

@dentlerb We are seeing the exact same thing. I'm going to try to set up a new machine, enroll it, and then start adding config profiles one by one until I figure out which one is triggering the parental controls. If anyone has already done this I'm all ears to hear about it!

cdyson
New Contributor

We are currently testing 10.11.3 with a restricted student account ready for roll out during the summer holidays and we too are getting this permissions error.

There is no way we can enable students access to all apps so a fix by JAMF or Apple would be more than welcome!

dentlerb
New Contributor

I got a chance to mess with this a little more last week and got it working.

We have a configuration profile with application restriction configured similar to those at the beginning of this discussion. Based on my experiments I think that if you add paths to the Allow Folders list it restricts applications to only run from those folders. In other words, by creating a whitelist everything else is blacklisted. I changed our configuration thusly:

Allow Folders:
/Applications/
/System/Library/
/Library/
/usr/
/bin/
/private/
/sbin/
~/Library/

Disallow Folders:
~/Applications/
~/Downloads/
~/Desktop/

I don't think I need the disallow folders, but I'm going to leave it because it works. With this configuration applications won't run from USB drives, ~/Scripts/, folders that users create in their own home folder, etc. By allowing ~/Library/ we no longer get the printerproxy error or any of the other errors that would come up from time to time. That's the only folder in the list non-admin users can write to, but since ~/Library/ is hidden in finder most of my users won't even know it exists.

pnbahry
New Contributor III

That will not work for us, I even need to run a script to check for any read/write areas in the OS because the students will find any read/write areas within the build to copy games to.

We do not allow anything to run from /Users and at this stage this is not something we can change.

@dentlerb

Hi, could you please share your script with me?

I have a similar scenario where I need the students to not have access to any local folders.

Could you please share your script with me? I have a similar scenario where I want to restrict write permission, so the students don't access local folders.

rcastorani
New Contributor II

@pnbahry Gotta love their ingenuity though! Off-topic, but are they checking via a script or just brute force? I have a ton of hidden places that they don't know they can write to simply to remove the incessant nagging permission popups.

@dentlerb Thanks for taking the time to write that out. We're having the same issues and since we have the same config profile system in place I'm going to take your advice and give those folders a shot.

dentlerb
New Contributor

@rcastorani Let us know how that works for you. All I'm going by is my experience from making those changes so your mileage may vary. Any information that can help us sort this out is valuable.

@pnbahry I think you must have some clever students. I am going to check on some of my more clever students and see if they have figured it out.

Jerod
New Contributor III

cashxx
New Contributor

Same problem here! Haven't found a solution yet. Adding directories above hasn't helped here. Note I am still using MCX here.

UPDATE:
Only way I can get it to work is allow / or /Users or /Users/usersusernamehere
Putting ~/Library or any other folder doesn't seem to work.

Previously I had Disallow:
~/
And various apps in /Applications and /Utilities

And only allow was:
/Applications
/Library

Now I have it like this:
Disallow:
Various apps in /Applications and /Utilities
~/Applications
~/Desktop
~/Documents
~/Downloads
~/Music
~/Pictures
~/Public

Allow:
/Applications
/Library
/Users

So users could run apps from root of their home but nothing under it. Odd behavior!

SincerelyJoshin
New Contributor II

Pretty sure this has always been a thing. Checked my profiles from 10.8 to 10.11, /Users/ blacklisted and ~/Library/Printers/ whitelisted, works like a charm.

cashxx
New Contributor

Not here I have always used the following setup, 10.8.5 clients are currently running fine with this setup. I was skipping straight up to 10.11.4 and ran into this problem:

Previously I had Disallow Blacklisted:
~/
And various apps in /Applications and /Utilities

And only allow whitelisted was:
/Applications
/Library

I did try to whitelist ~/Library/Printers and ~/Library and made no difference for me. Verified the settings where in /Library/Managed Preferences/ as well. I'm still using MCX instead of Profiles, but wouldn't think that would be it.

gcash
New Contributor

I have run into this same issue and as described by @pnbahry on 1/11/16, JAMF Support has recommended that anyone with this use/case scenario go ahead and create the symbolic link.

• Policy set to once per user per computer
  • Symlink ~/Library/Printers to /Applications/Printers
  • Install both Library Print Queues into /Applications/Printers (Packages for the two Printers)
  • Set permission so students can't write to Applications/Printers

Non-admin users were able to print but continued to have issues with the prompt; "You do not have permission to run PrinterProxy..."

INSTEAD, I changed the process to include the following:

• Added the printers into some_user_account
  • Copied the list of ~/Library/Printers/some_printer.app into a directory called /Library/Printers/Installed_Printers
  • Created a symbolic link between /Library/Printers/Installed_Printers/some_printer.app and placed it in ~/Library/Printers

Non-admin users are now able to print without a prompt.

JAMF has also opened a RADAR ticket with Apple as, according to JAMF Support, "it was also replicated with Profile Manager with our internal testing". JAMF Support has shared their RADAR ticket number, 26297653, for anyone to leverage and create a ticket as well -- maybe we can get some momentum with Apple providing a fix.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Just saw this myself, put in an enterprise ticket with apple referencing the RADAR above. Thanks for posting the info @gcash - Did you try doing a symbolic link for the whole ~/Library/Printers folder? We support so many printer models it'll get ugly to do them all one by one.

Edit - nevermind reread your post and understand what you were doing now. Will try that as workaround.

NightFlight
New Contributor III

Yes. In my investigation of this issue (we restrict execution from ~/) I found the same. The issue being if you whitelist under a blacklisted folder, results are random. This has been an issue since OSX..... well, since OSX.

I'm not holding my breath. Symlinks to a whitelisted non-writable folder seems a more viable solution than waiting on Apple Developers to break their way out of the wet paper bag they're trapped in.

plawrence
Contributor II

@gcash @CasperSally

What was your final workaround for the PrinterProxy permissions error? I dont appear to be able to delete the ~/Library/Printers folder to redirect the whole thing, and I'm hoping I dont have to create a symlink for each separate printer in that folder...

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

+1.... Anyone with a final repair (maybe one that does not include whitelist access of ~/Library/Printers/ ?)

pnbahry
New Contributor III

This has not been resolved in 10.12

NightFlight
New Contributor III

Shock?

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@plawrence @Sean_M_Harper sorry i missed the notification on this thread. i'm running following Once per user per computer - at login

edit: modified script to remove erroneous space

#!/bin/sh

rm -rf /Users/$3/Library/Printers

ln -s /Library/Printers/Installed_Printers /Users/$3/Library/Printers

TJ_Edgerly
New Contributor III

+1 for @CasperSally script (after removing the space from line1= "#!/bin/sh").

I use a local account with parental controls which was seeing the "printer proxy" issue. This script did the trick even on a parental control account.

Thanks!

gibbo1
New Contributor II

@CasperSally Thank you for your post. I am now able to print with non admin users. However, the printer proxy application for the printer (IE the printer queue app) is not launching. This means a user would not be able to delete jobs or resume a queue that had been paused. Any ideas? Is write access required?

Also, I found I had to manually create the /Library/Printers/Installed_Printers directory. The symlink file had no valid path to point to.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@TJ.Edgerly thanks i removed the space.

@gibbo1 - good point! I forgot that part of my post image script creates that directory for all machines 10.11.

aktechie2016
New Contributor

@gibbo1

Did you manually create the directory by creating an Installed_Printers folder in ~Library/Printers?

iaml
New Contributor II

We implemented the solution suggested by @gcash and created a script similar to @CasperSally to create the symlinks for our 4 printers. However, we are now encountering circumstances where the system will write a new printer app inside ~/Library/Printers/ even though the proper symlink is present. It will generally add " - 1" after the printer name, since it recognizes that the symlink is there. This happened quite a while after we implemented the fix (that is, it seemed to be working initially). We have not been able to determine the circumstances under which the workaround is itself circumvented, since the users tend not to report such errors on occurrence. As stated by others, opening up a security hole as a workaround is not acceptable in our circumstance. So just reporting that the workaround may not be permanent in some situations, or that there are some assumed details (POSIX permissions, for example) that need to be handled for successful deployment.

PRSquare
New Contributor

I have been able to get this to work for all of my student computers by allowing access to ~/Library/ because the students have local home directories. However my teachers have their home directories on a local server. I have tried various mappings to allow access, i.e., Volumes/Users/~/Library/ or servername/Users/~/Library/ No Go. Any thoughts?

dpecht1221
New Contributor II

@pnbahry Were you able to get this resolved? I'd love to talk with you if you were, we are having the same issue now. Thanks in advance!

BoscoATX
New Contributor III

Resolved this issue with the settings in the attached image using a Configuration Profile applied at the Computer Level.

6b3199da774449968f24895a2ac8fa2e

norweg139
New Contributor

Allowing to execute programs from ~/Library is a very bad idea.
User can paste any app in that folder abd execute it.
Is it not a purpose of pernitted app list to limit allowed apps?

NightFlight
New Contributor III

We gave up. Users can execute whatever they want. We'll just fire them when they break the rules. shrug