10.7.4 update via policy/SSI

Mbentley777
Contributor

I'm trying to make it possible to deploy the 10.7.4 update via SSI - I've uploaded the DMG to the JSS - but wasn't sure if it was more appropriate to upload the pkg.

I've attempted to install via policy and SSI - but no luck so far.

Logs show that the distro point mounted successfully, and that the package installed- but OS still 10.7.3.

Any ideas here? Should I attempt with the PKG? Should I go a different route for updates?

7 REPLIES 7

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Go for pkg

Mbentley777
Contributor

I've changed to a PKG and the install seems to have succeeded.

/usr/sbin/jamf is version 8.52 Executing Policy 10.7.4 Auto-Install... [STEP 1 of 3] Mounting smb://jss/DPoint to /Volumes/DPoint... [STEP 2 of 3] Copying MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.4.pkg... Installing MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.4.pkg... Successfully installed MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.4.pkg. Unmounting file server... [STEP 3 of 3] Running Recon... Gathering Application Usage Information... Finding Extension Attributes... Blessing i386 OS X System on /... JAMF_TOKEN_RESTART_REQUIRED

But the machine doesn't restart.

A review of the install log shows that the last entry was

Blessing i386 OS X System on /...

Would expect that the machine would have restarted by now - has been 20 minutes since that last entry.

Mbentley777
Contributor

Looks like I jumped the gun, the update was applied, and the machine was prompting me to restart -but the window was hidden due to a window management utility that I use. (i.e. stupid user error)

That said, the OS version hasn't updated, and I wasn't sure the best way to force it to do so - as it seems that the every15 for inventory doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Matt, did your policy have the "Update inventory" checkbox checked under the Advanced tab? That should run a full recon at the end of the installation, and I believe should happen prior to the reboot message (not super clear on that though)

The every15 is not an inventory submission, just a check in. If the Mac checking in isn't within the scope to submit full inventory at check in time, its not going to.

Mbentley777
Contributor

I do have Update Inventory checked. It looks like the inventory is updated prior to the machine restarting, so as far as the JSS is concerned the machine is still running 10.7.3

What would be the best way to force the inventory update? Is there a command that I could use from the JAMF binary - or is sudo jamf recon the way to go here?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
It looks like the inventory is updated prior to the machine restarting, so as far as the JSS is concerned the machine is still running 10.7.3

This is not true, or at least, its not the expected behavior. To confirm this, I just updated my 10.7.3 MacBook Pro to 10.7.4 using the Combo updater. I did not restart after the install finished, but went to About this Mac and it showed as running 10.7.4, prior to the reboot. Since recon just uses the same info reported there, it should report back to the JSS that its running 10.7.4. I'm not sure why that would't be happening in your case, but what you're seeing is not the expected behavior.

Mbentley777
Contributor

Hmmm, interesting.

I've started to create a new image using the 10.7.4 ESD so maybe this will not be an issue for us going forward. I'll try testing again on a 10.7.3 box though.