10/9 sus "no updates available"

schwende
New Contributor

So, I had software updates working before, though I couldn't get 10.9.1 or an imovie and iphoto. The rest worked fine.
Updated to 10.9.2 and server 3 0 3 and now when I try updates, I just get a message saying "no updates available".
Client is running 10.9.2 currently. I don't see anything wrong, not that I can tell anyways.

Yesterday I removed all the updates manually and downloaded them again and enabled them.

Just a plain jane 10.9 server, no 3rd party software other than deploy studio. Seems to image fine and everything else, just software updates that no longer work.

19 REPLIES 19

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Errr wrong post. Lol

What does the URL look like in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.softwareupdate.plist

schwende
New Contributor

On which one, the client or server?

colonelpanic
Contributor

client

twinfield
New Contributor II

if you are using the NetSUS appliance, I noticed yesterday that it does not come with the latest version of reposado out of the box. You'll need the latest version as it includes support for the index-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.

A note of caution, the 10.9 update catalog includes all the developer preview updates for Mavericks (7 in total is what came down for me), all but one were over 2GB.

schwende
New Contributor

It says this:

bplist00‹ 
LastSuccessfulDateLastBackgroundCCDSuccessfulDate_LastAttemptSystemVersionZCatalogURL_LastUpdatesAvailable_LastRecommendedUpdatesAvailable_RecommendedUpdates_LastFullSuccessfulDate_PrimaryLanguages_LastSessionSuccessful_LastBackgroundSuccessfulDate^LastResultCode3A??>

schwende
New Contributor

Using just osx server, no third party software or anything.

bentoms

If you locate the plist & press the space key, QuickLook should give you a preview of the plist & then you can read the contents better.

What we're looking for is the CatalogURL value.

I think the below should work too (not @ a mac to test though):

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.softwareupdate CatalogURL

schwende
New Contributor

CatalogURL is: http://fqdn:8088/content/catalogs/others/index-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

That is what the terminal command gives me for a response.

bentoms

That'll be it then.

Your Mac is looking @ the 10.8 URL.

Since 10.6 Apple has unified the URL, I've a post it that: http://macmule.com/2011/07/21/how-to-connect-clients-to-lion-servers-apple-software-update-service/

Follow the link to the KB article for the correct format & defaults write command, then try again.

schwende
New Contributor

There is a lot of posts there. What it sounds like is I should change the http://fqdn:8088/index.sucatalog? If that is the case, I still have the same response of no updates available.

bentoms

Hang on.

Are you looking for the iMovie & iPhoto updates to be delivered via ASUS?

For the newer versions they are now from the App Store & not ASUS.

schwende
New Contributor

No, at this point, I am just trying to restore the functionality. I had 10.9.1 on the server before and they worked fine. updated to 10.9.2 and I have nothing now. I don't care much about iphoto and such, since it is rarely used at my work, but the other updates such as 10.9.2 for clients and such is kinda important.

maybe I just need to wipe out all settings for the sus and start from scratch, as long as I don't need to completely reinstall Server 3.0.3

bentoms

Do you have another 10.9.1 client you can test?

Just change the URL then run:

softwareupdate -l

schwende
New Contributor

I will image a different client and see what happens.

schwende
New Contributor

OK so I imaged a macbook and checked updates. Well, it found an itunes update, but nothing else. Images is 10.9.1 and I am sure there has to be more than just an itunes update.

bentoms

Did you change the catalog URL to having index.sucatalog at the end on the 10.9.1 client before you tried?

schwende
New Contributor

Yes, I changed it to httpL//fqdn:8088/index.sucatalog and then tried.

bentoms

Odd.

Is the 10.9.2 available & downloaded on your ASUS?

schwende
New Contributor

I have 2 of them. One at 1.23GB and a second at 859MB.