2 Macintosh HD icons in Catalina

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Hello!

When we run the CIS 10.15 hardening guide, the user sees 2 Macintosh HD icons on the desktop. I'm aware of the changes with Catalina on splitting System volume and Data volume.

At first I thought it had to do with the Jamf config profile/Finder payload that we use to show items on desktop. But even after I remove the config profile, 2 Macintosh HD icons remain.

Is anyone else seeing this? Are you using a simple script to re-hide one of the Macintosh HD icons?
137b6cfb6ecb4dd49f61c03ec918bb1f

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

When erasing are you selecting Erase Volume Group? You may also change the View to show All Devices and erase the top level, usually named Apple SSD (this seems to work best on Internet Recovery or using a bootable USB).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

taylorducharme
New Contributor III

I would take a wild guess that with Catalina since it splits the disk into Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data, the data drive was renamed and now shows. Open disk utility and see what it says.
5787fcc8299e41288dd9877147d6d57d

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Here is what I see in Disk Utility...

When I tried to install macOS clean, I wiped all 3 hoping it'd clear back down to 2 (Macintosh HD, Macintosh HD - Data).

9d42757ecc8441a68e9fb5f5ff63e862

Anonymous
Not applicable

When erasing are you selecting Erase Volume Group? You may also change the View to show All Devices and erase the top level, usually named Apple SSD (this seems to work best on Internet Recovery or using a bootable USB).

rhooper
Contributor III

When wiping a internal Drive I always select the "View" > "Show all Devices". This gets a view of the physical drive as well as any other drives, Container disk1, associated with it.
5e1684ca97004b60a1ff333b91b112ff

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Thanks everyone. Showing All Devices and erasing the top level is working.