50% plus CPU utilisation after upgrading to 9.11

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi All,
I've been running version 8.x for about 10 months on this machine and my monitoring system shows a usual CPU load of around 10-20%, with occasional spikes up to about 30-40%.

Since upgrading to MySQL version 5.5 and JSS version 9.11 my CPU load has averaged around 50%+ during the day. Yesterday afternoon and overnight it dropped back down to around 20% but has been running at 50%+ again for the last hour.

I am running on Windows 2008R2 in a Hyper-V virtual environment. This is the same environment I've used all along. I have allocated 4Gb RAM and Tomcat has been allocated 2Gb RAM.

After reading a separate post about this issue I was wondering what I could tweak to get this back to "normal". I have allocated 115 connections (some SQL monitoring I have done showed a previous maximum connections of 85) and a max packet size of 128m.

Should I enable binary logging? (I did this with another MySQL application and it didn't work so I'm wary of enabling this for JSS).

Somewhere in the upgrade I saw something about the max thread count for tomcat (should be 1.5 times the max MySQL connections) but I can't find where that is now. Should I increase this from the 150 that was default and how do I do this?

Approx 80% of my 1300 iPads have checked in since the upgrade so I would have hoped that the system would return to normal by now.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris.

6 REPLIES 6

rmaldonado
New Contributor

I too am experiencing high CPU utilization(80-90% in a 12,000+ device environment), ever since we moved up to 9.11. Is there anyone that can confirm if this may be related to 9.11 or not? I have been diving into all logs everywhere, and I am coming up short. I need to find out if we need to move back to 8.74, or up to 9.12.

Thanks all!

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

What version of Java are you running on your JSS? I discovered today that in order for the JSS to run properly, you have to be using JRE 6 instead of JRE 7 Update 40.

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi Joseph,

I meant to post here that I updated to 9.12 late last week and the update seems to have fixed the problem. The CPU has returned to the pre v9.x levels.

Cheers,
Chris.

Niels_Illem
New Contributor II

I see also high CPU loads after upgrading from 8.72 to 9.12.

Windows 2008 r2 on VMWare, 1 CPU, 4 GB RAM
MySQL 5.5.27
JDK-6u30 plus JCE

Screenshots of CPU load at http://www.illem.nl/jss.html

Anyone suggestions?

Niels

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi Niels,

interesting graphs and the same as what I've seen many times over. Your comment "no one connected" is interesting. I don't believe there's any time at which there are no clients connected. As I type this, there are no fewer than 12 individual iPads communicating with my server. I only have 1300 iPads, set to inventory once per day. Each iPad should only need to contact the server once per day, however it seems that most of the iPads are communicating continuously.

I logged a support call with JAMF but they responded that they had no idea how much traffic should be generated by a system with 1300 iPads, which I found disappointing.

On your server, can you determine which process is using the CPU? Is it MySQL or Tomcat? I know there are a number of settings that you can tweak on both and it might be useful to get some others on here to discuss any settings they've changed on either to see if we can generate a preferred configuration profile for these servers.

I shall dig out what I've done and post back shortly.

Cheers,
Chris.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Can you tell me how (or point me to something to read) to determine how many iPads are communicating with my server?

Thanks in advance!!

chris