506 Error "An error occurred while saving the changes." Anyone experienced this?

ROAllen
New Contributor II

Good morning everyone,

When we try to create app entries, sometimes we get the above error. We are working with support right now, but I'm curious if anyone else has came across this. Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12

derek_peterson
New Contributor

After upgrading to Casper 9.81 in our production environment, we also started seeing this issue occasionally. We were previously running Casper 9.73 and had not seen the issue with the previous build. The 506 error appears to occur when committing changes via the JSS web interface, such as saving a newly created policy or updating an existing one. The issue occurs very randomly and does not appear to be related to a resource limitation as we were not nearing our Tomcat or SQL limits. It unfortunately hasn't happened with enough frequency to be able to successfully trace it back. Please keep us posted if you find out a solution from JAMF and I will do the same.

ROAllen
New Contributor II

@derek.peterson We are still working through issues, but the issue seemed to be ipads in our casper that didn't exist. I can't explain that well, but if it becomes an issue hit me up and I can provide you what we did to find out the actual problems. Thanks Derek.

mcmonte
New Contributor

I received this error when changing smart group criteria.

jbmiller
New Contributor III

I am getting this error when trying to save a prestage enrollment for mobile devices. Was there ever any resolution/cause found for this error?

robert_petitto
New Contributor III

Same as @jbmiller . Getting the error when trying to assign new devices to a prestage enrollment. I will try again tomorrow to see if time fixes the issue.04aaaaa8c718450eb7ed3abd5b8f08d8

Jtuggle
New Contributor II

I am getting the same error. When I look in the log, I only see this repeated. 2018-07-30 13:46:02,266 [ERROR] [Tomcat-7 ] [HTMLResponse ] - An unhandled exception occurred during a save operation
java.lang.NullPointerException

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Getting this today as well, trying to update some Smart Groups. The errors were the short unhandled exception, but after restarting tomcat I got a much longer one:

2018-08-01 16:28:22,802 [ERROR] [Thread-4   ] [HTMLResponse             ] - An unhandled exception occurred during a save operation
java.lang.NullPointerException
      at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:193)
      at java.util.LinkedList$LLSpliterator.forEachRemaining(LinkedList.java:1235)
      at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
      at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
      at java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(ReduceOps.java:708)
      at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
      at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(ReferencePipeline.java:499)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.computergroup.ComputerGroup.extractComputersIds(ComputerGroup.java:1104)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.computergroup.ComputerGroup.createAndPrepareEventObject(ComputerGroup.java:1099)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.computergroup.ComputerGroup.publishApplicationEvent(ComputerGroup.java:1084)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.computergroup.ComputerGroup.notifyMembershipChanged(ComputerGroup.java:1075)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.computergroup.LegacyComputerGroupScopeCalculator.smartGroupRecalculated(LegacyComputerGroupScopeCalculator.java:48)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.computergroup.ComputerGroup.setComputers(ComputerGroup.java:418)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.computergroup.ComputerGroup.setObjectIDs(ComputerGroup.java:360)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.computergroup.ComputerGroup.setObjectIDs(ComputerGroup.java:342)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.computergroup.SmartComputerGroupHTMLResponse.readObjectChangesFromRequest(SmartComputerGroupHTMLResponse.java:287)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.HTMLResponse.performSave(HTMLResponse.java:1508)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.HTMLResponse.process(HTMLResponse.java:723)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.HTMLController.processRequest(HTMLController.java:143)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.HTMLController.doPost(HTMLController.java:75)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:661)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:742)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.sso.filter.SsoFilter.doFilter(SsoFilter.java:56)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.JSSAccessFilter.doFilter(JSSAccessFilter.java:59)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
      at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
      at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.JSSLoadingFilter.doFilter(JSSLoadingFilter.java:230)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:198)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
      at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:496)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:140)
      at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:81)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87)
      at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:342)
      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:803)
      at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)
      at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:790)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(Nio2Endpoint.java:1703)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.processSocket(AbstractEndpoint.java:1050)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper$4.completed(Nio2Endpoint.java:630)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper$4.completed(Nio2Endpoint.java:608)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SecureNio2Channel$1.completed(SecureNio2Channel.java:917)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SecureNio2Channel$1.completed(SecureNio2Channel.java:846)
      at sun.nio.ch.Invoker.invokeUnchecked(Invoker.java:126)
      at sun.nio.ch.UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.finishRead(UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.java:430)
      at sun.nio.ch.UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.finish(UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.java:191)
      at sun.nio.ch.UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.onEvent(UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.java:213)
      at sun.nio.ch.EPollPort$EventHandlerTask.run(EPollPort.java:293)
      at sun.nio.ch.AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl$1.run(AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.java:112)
      at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
      at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

glasgowclyde
New Contributor III

Hi @chris.kemp , did you find a resolution for this buddy?

pcrandom
Contributor

@chris.kemp @glasgowclyde I'm seeing the same thing since upgrading to 10.7.1 on prem last week. Doesn't happen with all Smart Groups, and I can clone and save one successfully with all the same criteria, but if I try to edit the cloned one it exhibits the same issues. Did either of you find a fix?

tep
Contributor II

I have the same issue with some smart groups. Seems to happen to ones with a larger membership - small groups seem ok. But it’s really hit or miss.

pcrandom
Contributor

@tep - I was thinking about that too, and sorted my Smart Groups by number of machines, and I didn't test every one, but I definitely have problems saving SGs that are smaller than other SGs that save fine.

pcrandom
Contributor

@chris.kemp @glasgowclyde @tep Our TAM had us run some SQL commands to see if certain record numbers matched, which they didn't, and then they did a remote conference in with my colleague to fix some computer records, and that resolved the issue, so get in touch with your TAM through Jamf Support.