802.1x credentials missing since 9.22

btaitt
Contributor

Since we updated to 9.22, every computer we enroll in the JSS gets our 802.1x wireless configuration profile installed but when you attempt to connect to it, it asks for the authentication credentials, which are supposed to come from that profile.

So far we haven't noticed this with iPads. This is on both computers that are re-enrolled and new computers with a fresh copy of OS X.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

btaitt
Contributor

Hey all,

If you haven't seen yet 9.23 was released this morning and I saw this in the release notes:

[D-006090] Fixed an issue that prevented the JSS from applying the 802.1X network authentication credentials specified in OS X configuration profiles with a Network payload.

I'll give it a go and (fingers crossed) hope it works!

View solution in original post

boberito
Valued Contributor

Fixed!

And fixed printers being installed with Self Service!

Today is a good day!

jhuhmann
Contributor

9.22 broke it, and 9.23 does indeed fix it, along with a host of other problems. See the release notes: http://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/casper-suite-release-notes-version-923/ for a full list.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@btaitt, this is the reason we applied the 9.23 update and it did fix it. Problem solved!

30 REPLIES 30

spotter
New Contributor III

I have noticed when I check "Use as a Login Window configuration" then click save the check disappears... Anyone else seeing this???

rdwhitt
Contributor II

Yes, I also noticed the "Use as a Login Window configuration" is not saving after upgrading to 9.22. Also, if I choose "WPA2 Enterprise", it will revert to "WPA2" as soon as I save.

btaitt
Contributor

Potter, I have not noticed any issue with our Login Window config profile in this release, though we did have a problem when initially updating to 9.1.

I have a ticket open with JAMF so if there's any update I'll definitely post it here. What we find with our wireless profile may help with other config profile issues as well.

mks007
New Contributor II

Yes, I also noticed if I choose "WPA2 Enterprise", it will revert to "WPA2" as soon as I save.

We have a call open as you can't use a configuration profile created in IPCU so you can add in the authentication type and now the system level 802.1x Password or identity preference are missing.

pat_best
Contributor III

Looks like we are keeping the JAMF folks busy with this one!! I also have a ticket open on this one. Has anyone tried downloading the configuration profile to have a look at it? My .mobileconfig file from the download button looks nothing like it ought to.

pat_best
Contributor III

I received a response to this from my account manager. There appears to be an issue in version 9.22 that does not place the credential information into the keychain. JAMF is aware of the issue and is working to resolve it. This includes both new and upgraded profiles that carry this type of information.

tdurdan
New Contributor

i'm seeing the same issue with 802.1x setup to use directory authentication.

mks007
New Contributor II

Also found that the "Use as a Login Window configuration" option does not save.

boberito
Valued Contributor

Add me into the list having problems.

spotter
New Contributor III

I received this back from support regarding the seen behavior... "The number for this defect we are hitting is D-006090 for your reference."

Damien
New Contributor

Can anyone confirm is this was working on the 9.21 release?

lisacherie
Contributor II

Using 802.1x profiles in 8.73 this is a show stopper for a 9 upgrade :(
Would be good to know more info on this, and which versions are affected/when a fix is scheduled. Have been patiently waiting for a while for various defects to be resolved so we could safely upgrade.
Thank you for sharing.

plawrence
Contributor II

My understanding is that 9.21 was fine, but 9.22 introduced the bugs the cause 802.1x settings to not be saved properly in Configuration Profiles.

The workaround for 9.22 which I have used successfully is to create the 802.1x Configuration Profile in OS X Server's Profile Manager, download it from there and upload it into the JSS. The JSS can then distribute that profile as normal. To get this to work though, I had to ensure that Profile Manager was signing the Configuration Profile before I downloaded it, that way when I uploaded the resulting profile to the JSS it was marked as read-only so the JSS couldn't 'break' it.

brj
New Contributor
New Contributor

I believe under 10.9 the config profile for 802.1x must be signed which is something Casper does not do.

btaitt
Contributor

Lisa, Patrick's response matches our own. We were not encountering any issues until we upgraded from 9.21 to 9.22.

btaitt
Contributor

Lisa, Patrick's response matches our own. We were not encountering any issues until we upgraded from 9.21 to 9.22.

bentoms

Hi all,

We migrated from 8.73 > 9.22 & our 802.1x profile works... But is based on RADIUS auth via AD Machine cert.

Damien
New Contributor

Just created Signed and uploaded a Profile created in OSX Profile manager as suggested by @plawrence and it is working correctly. on a 9.22 Casper install and 10.9 client, with users authenticating at the login window profile.

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

Hello All,

I am in the same boat as many of you experiencing this issue and wanted to pick your brains on the workaround with profile manager.

Unfortunately we are running OD 10.6 in our environment and haven't upgraded since we are essentially managing everything through Casper Config Profiles. I assume I would need to set-up a 10.9 server instance with OD and Profile manager in order to get this to work? Would it matter what I set OD as in the test environment? If someone could provide some more details that would be appreciated.

Joe

Damien
New Contributor

Hi Joe, I created mine in a test 10.8 lab setup. Uploaded to a completely separate 10.9 server running a 9.22 JSS, then sent it to some managed 10.9.0 clients to test.

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

dmo1337, someone mentioned have to sign the cert so when you uploaded it was read only. Did you have to do that as well?

Joe

Araneta
New Contributor III

I am using 9.21.
I posted this last year: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9281
You need to select wpa/wpa2 enterprise for it to save the config profile.
Hope it helps.

jgavahan
New Contributor

@Araneta,
For me, this does not resolve the issue where "Use as a Login Window configuration" remains unchecked when using WPA/WPA2 Enterprise. The same occurs with Any (Enterprise) selected. If I select WPA2 Enterprise, then the security type changes to WPA2 and "Use as a Login Window configuration" remains unchecked.

Damien
New Contributor

@joemamasmac yes I signed it with Profile manager, so in the JSS console it's read only. Happy to send one of my working ones through as an example.

rmaldonado
New Contributor

Anyone ever figure this out? We just moved from 9.12 to 9.22 and use directory based authentication. Now the "Use as Login Window Configuration" box will not stay checked, even after trying to save it multiple times. The only variable we have changed here was the update to 9.22.

I saw some people posting about signing it with profile manager, but I cant seem to get that to work. Anyone hear back from JAMF? Tried getting a hold of them Friday, but haven't hear back yet.

btaitt
Contributor

Hey all,

If you haven't seen yet 9.23 was released this morning and I saw this in the release notes:

[D-006090] Fixed an issue that prevented the JSS from applying the 802.1X network authentication credentials specified in OS X configuration profiles with a Network payload.

I'll give it a go and (fingers crossed) hope it works!

rdwhitt
Contributor II

It's working for me now! Hooray!

boberito
Valued Contributor

Fixed!

And fixed printers being installed with Self Service!

Today is a good day!

jhuhmann
Contributor

9.22 broke it, and 9.23 does indeed fix it, along with a host of other problems. See the release notes: http://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/casper-suite-release-notes-version-923/ for a full list.

John_Wetter

@btaitt, this is the reason we applied the 9.23 update and it did fix it. Problem solved!