9.8 gotchas

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Any early reports of problems? My test environment seemed to go okay...

51 REPLIES 51

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Just swap over to /usr/local/bin/jamf (which is the symlink) or the new full path /usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf

There is an example script above that might help you in a more automated fashion.

hkabik
Valued Contributor

Do you have to path it out? I normally just put:

#!/bin/sh

jamf recon

as an example. I've never seen it not work and I don't have to re-path it if JAMF moves the binary.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

In general that still works for me just fine. However, it's good to be extra specific in your scripts. Other smarter folks can tell all sorts of horror stories as to why it might fail. There have been a few threads pointing out that ARD isn't allowing the jamf command to be called in that manner (jamf recon) and requires the new full path. Otherwise, it should generally work.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

P.s. I wonder if that's why the /usr/local/bin/jamf symlink exists. Just to be there if the binary needs to be moved again.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I upgraded from 9.65 to 9.81 and am unable to get computers to boot after imaging if I am putting down a recovery partition for FV with casper imaging 9.81, 9.8, or 9.73.

If I use casper imaging 9.65 the computer reboots to Macintosh HD properly, but is unable to talk to JSS (device signature errors), even when running 9.81 quickadd. I wonder if my old 9.65 quickadd would work.

If I delete the computer before using casper imaging 9.65, computer reboots to Mac HD and the 9.81 quick add runs but machine is stuck in adobe install account. Anyone find a fix for that?

Computers without recovery partition image and reboot fine with Casper Imaging 9.81.

separate post here

Would love any suggestions.

skoonin
New Contributor

are you using AutoDMG to make your OS images? I have seen issues using InstallESD. I've had no issues with autodmg.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

OS images were built with Composer. Casper Imaging 9.81 works consistently for me on images without recovery partitions, but pretty inconsistently on images with one.

Sometimes, after imaging and getting folder with question mark, when I hold down option key the only boot options are EFI/Recovery/Netboot. Other times Macintosh HD is there and I can select it and boot to it, but on next reboot same question mark. Repair disk/permissions isn't helping no matter what the boot options are.

Once in awhile if I delete the computers and choose the config with recovery partition it comes down ok, reboots and works fine. I can't find the pattern of when it works and when it doesn't yet.

skoonin
New Contributor

not sure if you are using a thin or a fat image, but if it's possible, I would swap out your baseOS with an AutoDMG image, it includes recovery and works much better than composer IMO.

pblake
Contributor III

@CasperSally - Sounds to me like the system is getting blessed. I noticed with 9.8, that when I image now, I have to check "Boot to eager drive after imaging" or it doesn't Bless Macintosh HD and I see similar behavior to yours. I never used to check that box, as I like to see it complete before restarting, but with 9.8, I have to.

Are you checking that box when imaging? If not, try it.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@pblake thanks, but we've always checked 'boot to target drive after imaging' - i wish it was that simple.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

thanks to everyone who responded. spoke to jamf support and looks like I'm hitting a bug.

Adding this as an after script to configs with recovery partition seems to be working.

bless -mount /Volumes/Macintosh HD -setBoot

chmeisch
New Contributor III

Could someone inform me on how to disable HTTP on our JDS? I'd like to force self service to ever and only use AFP for installations. We're running 9.81 on OSX server 5.0.15 and of course the HTTP/S portion of it is horribly broken. We won't ever need to use HTTP in our environment, and afp would suit our needs well.

I've struck out so far in the forums/casper admin guide. Any guidance is very appreciated. Thanks!