A different dock other than Targus?

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hi Folks,

We are preparing to install a bunch of new 13" MacBook Pros. In the past, we had a number of users using Sierra and very few with High Sierra and Targus docks. Those that use Targus docks have learned that the display link driver will fail to continue to bring the user extended displays using the driver and Targus docks if the user is at 10.13.4 or higher.

Targus has essentially deferred questions on this to display link who makes the driver they use. Display link isn't saying much other than it doesn't work.

The question I have is, as we have 40-50 NEW Targus docks sitting in boxes waiting for our new laptops to arrive, should we be sending them back to CDW-G in favor of something else that actually works and doesn't rely on the display link driver?

Just curious what others have learned and what others are doing.

Thank you all.

4 REPLIES 4

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Definitely send them back. Don't rely on Display Link.

Here's a link that lists a few adapters and docking stations:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wkPDr8hf9OGu-BjKRukdnUQ7tyEsabG4yAf1OmzekCg/

We specifically order the Satechi adapters that come with HDMI, 3xUSB, Ethernet, and microSD/SD.

simonep
New Contributor III

We were looking for a solution that would meet both platforms (Windows and MacOS) and found a great dock with HP. It's an HP TB (USB-C) Dock 120W G2. It worked great with MacBook Pro 15" and 13" and needed NO drivers, just worked!! We had a lot of users complaining about the Targus dock (140) because when they went to a meeting and returned their external monitors would not wake they would have to open the lid on the mac and enter their password then the monitors would come on. We are not encountering that with the HP dock. Once you connect the USB-C cable all the peripherals work fine including the monitors. We are on 10.13.3 - so I can't comment on 10.13.4 but can't imagine there being an issue.

We are currently piloting the HP docks and have gotten positive feed back.

Also comes with an audio module if you need it

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-thunderbolt-dock-120w-g2-with-audio

Good Luck!

ammonsc
Contributor II

We used the OWC docks where I used to work. I absolutely loved them.

OWC Thunderbot 3 Dock

There are a few people where I am now with Henge horizontal docks. They are very well built and if you require a MacBook to be locked down this is by far the best alternative. Unfortunately I don't think Henge makes them anymore.

They do offer a Tethered Dock.

hcgtexas
New Contributor III

We've been using the Landing Zone Docks to pretty good effect. Lots of plugs, and haven't had any of the weird display issues we were seeing with the Targus docks.

I'm not a huge fan of how the actually dock in, and we had to use the USB-C pass through on the right side of the dock to get the old iMac style apple monitor to work, but overall have had good experience with them.