Wachovia
Information Technology
Enterprise Strategy and Design
704-427-0903
paul.austin at wachovia.com

3 REPLIES 3

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

There is still a printer utility in Leopard.. Its in /System/Library/CoreServices, I believe.

I have not done this myself, but I have read of people putting a symlink for the printer utility into /Applications to allow users to add printers.

I believe modifying the /etc/authorization file, whether via package or script, ought to allow you to grant functions that belong to admins by default to any user, group or everyone. If I recall correctly, afp548 has a good article on /etc/authorization.

----- Miles Leacy ACTC|ACSA|ACT|CCA Senior Mac Technologist Polo Ralph Lauren 212.318.7603 miles.leacy at poloralphlauren.com

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

In version 6 of Casper you can set up self serve, which will allow your mobile users access to install apps/printers/whatever through a web browser.

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
cell: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351

winkelhe
New Contributor

Create a link to the core service and comment these lines in the cupsd.conf file(the first one is obviously already commented.

# All administration operations require an administrator to authenticate... <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default> AuthType Default Require user @SYSTEM Order deny,allow </Limit>

--
Eric Winkelhake | Technology Services ? Mundocom | Re:Sources IT
35 West Wacker Drive, Suite 3000 | Chicago, IL 60601
Office: 312-220-1669 | Mobile: 312-519-5632
Email: Eric.Winkelhake at us-resources.com
Open a Service Desk Ticket | Navigating IT | Training Now