Adding a plist file to a network user's Library/Preferences folder

peezwizz
New Contributor

I am trying to compose and deploy an application to my computer lab that includes a License Key.

When I'm logged in as admin I run a new/modified snapshot. I install the app, open it, enter the key, close the app and finish snapshot. If I create the package and deploy via Remote, it runs fine for the Admin user.

My issue is, whenever I log into a network user account, it asks for the key. I see in my composer source after I open the app and type in the license key, it creates a plist file in User/Admin/Library/Preferences. If I copy that plist file into User/JaneDoe/Library/Preferences, it no longer requires them to enter the key.

Is there way to accomplish this in composer? or does anyone have a better method to deploy the license code to network users?

5 REPLIES 5

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I would package the plist file separate from the actual application, and then set a policy scoped to your lab to install the plist with the frequency set to "Once per user".

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like you need to save it as a dmg package in composer, then use the FUT (Fill User Template) and FUE (Fill Existing Users) options when deploying it.

If its just a standard pkg, or you are deploying without the FUT & FUE options it will just install it in the same location it came from (i.e. /Users/Admin/Library/Preferences)

Look
Valued Contributor III

I'm with @stevewood package the app and the settings files seperately, makes it easier when you want to upgrade it later as the settings frequently don't require changes with minor application updates.

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

If your network users are not using Mobile Accounts then you may need to make a change in the jamf plist as described in the following feature request/discussion:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=141
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4600

acdesigntech
Contributor II

you could always try putting this plist in the /Library/Preferences folder first. Some apps will work this way, rather than copying it to every network users homefolder.