Adding macOS Catalina to the restriction list

bmee
Contributor

Apple just announce macOS Catalina.

Anyone already add this to their software restriction list to prevent users installing the beta version?

Or do we need to wait for the package to be uploaded to the developer's website?

Thanks in advances.

50 REPLIES 50

AdamCraig
Contributor III

@rodders I set up a config profile with a custom setting and the following plist. I tried scripting this but the icon would be refreshed on a regular basis.

i put the config profile into self service since it will block all system preferences notifications and I wanted it to be Opt in.

The issue i'm running into is that users need to either restart, or do a killall Dock before it actually takes effect.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>AttentionPrefBundleIDs</key>
    <string>0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@rodders trying to see if there is another way then a custom profile route as this blocks all update notifications if I am not mistaken.

ncats_lab
New Contributor III

@strayer I tried your Configuration Profile above using the plist. The profile loaded, but I'm still seeing the badge even after reboot. Any suggestions?

AdamCraig
Contributor III

![optional image ALT text](
e37963872d264c6a868bc8c9ed7ee41b
)
I installed the profile at a system level and then ran

killall Dock

and the effect was instant and the icon has not returned. I did have to convert the plist to an xml before it could be uploaded to jamfcloud using

plutil -convert xml1 /Path/To/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

ncats_lab
New Contributor III

@strayer, I was missing the correct Preference Domain. That did the trick, thank you!

edullum
Contributor

I reached out to Jamf Support regarding the Restricted Software of Catalina not working in my environment. It turns out, Apple has to add Catalina to their repository and that usually takes a few weeks. In the meantime, we can use a basic command within a policy to block Catalina:

#!/bin/sh
softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

jlombardo
Contributor

If we use the script, is it a simple process to revert it back so we can allow people to download Catalina once some of the bugs have been repaired?

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

--Reset-ignored will remove all ignored updates. Here's a list of the rest of the commands.

d3de23dbfc034e14b5b802afca51a43e

PCSysops
New Contributor II

@JarvisUno When removing the preferences restrictions, will ignored updates eventually show up? or do we have to execute sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored on each machine for the updates to comeback for Catalina.

FutureFacinLuke
Contributor II

weird follow up...

I had this restricted to a certain group, now I've deleted the restriction but I am still getting the error message I wrote.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@FutureFacinLuke If you run  'sudo jamf manage' on a Mac reporting the restriction is still in place that will force a reload of the restriction settings.