Adding web links with icons to the dock

dcarlton
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has had any success pushing out web locations to the dock along with favicon pictures. I am hoping to add links to Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Keep to the docks on target machines. This will be for student machines so ideally I would like to have the icons carry over rather than using the default web location icon.

Thanks,
Doug

10 REPLIES 10

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@dcarlton Why not a Self Service plugin?

Or, I've used little AppleScript apps to open URLs. You can then add icons as needed & version number the apps to update them as needed.

Look
Valued Contributor III

Pretty sure you can...
- Drag an address directly from the address bar of your browser to the desktop.
- Go into info with command+i copy and paste any picture you want into the icon.
- Place the file somewhere that is accessible to all (I usually just drop them into Applications).
- Capture that in composer and deploy it.
- Then add it to the dock however you normally do, it displays with whatever icon it was given.
Certainly works for us with some internal sites we use.

stevevalle
Contributor III

Yes, you sure can do it.

I place my webloc files in a folder in /Library/Application Support.

You can add a custom icon to the file by getting info and pasting your icon over the top of the original icon. Then drag the file into Composer and create a dmg file.

You may also get an icon file, don't delete this as it stores the info on your custom icon

Upload the dmg to Casper Admin, then deploy the dock item. I use dockutil to deploy!

76bcadc93165481c8afa13da17f621c0

acbeb228173041aa960cc92d2897c056

25222474a0314d02be370e1911170809

dcarlton
New Contributor

stevevalle,

Thanks for your response. Are you saying that composer should pull the icon file in when I drag the .webloc into Composer? That is not happening for me even though I have applied a custom icon to my .webloc file on the computer.

Thanks,
Doug

stevevalle
Contributor III

Hi @dcarlton

I found that the icon file was not added with files such as webloc files, but is added with items such as folders.

The icon should be saved with the webloc file.

I just did a quick test, created a self service policy to add the webloc file to a folder in Application Support, then add it to the dock using dockutil

850fd869a1fa4d11911e30a1338045ac
0e7ebb90722441daace34ca526494b82
d09575e0ecd249708c7ebc774eb170af

m_higgins
Contributor

Not sure if this is still an open topic but I cannot get the dock icon to appear for a .webloc at all

Even though I have added my custom icon it just doesnt add anything to the dock.

Any help on this @stevevalle would be great

Di you have any luck @dcarlton ?

dcarlton
New Contributor

@m.higgins Unfortunately I've been caught up in other work so this has become a summer project for me. I'll definitely be returning to this thread, however, to try out the method that @stevevalle mentioned.

stevevalle
Contributor III

@m.higgins Do you see the icon on the file when you drag it into Composer? Is the icon attached to the file once the package is created?

Look
Valued Contributor III

I noticed in newer version of the JSS you can actually send web clips as configuration profiles and they populate onto the right hand side of the dock. Really works quite well (we are on JSS 9.82 with OS X 10.11 clients).

PatCMP
New Contributor III

Hey, sorry to bring this up again but is there anyone that managed to the webloc with the custom icon added to the dock through dockutil? thanks!