Admin prompts when running an uninstall

Jason33
Contributor III

I've had a policy in Self Service with a script to uninstall Code42 CrashPlan, the script simply called /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app and it would uninstall, even for non-admin users. Now today I am getting prompted to enter admin credentials after the uninstaller launches, that says "Uninstall wants to make changes". This is on macOS Catalina 10.15.7. I created another policy to execute the same command, but had sudo open /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app, and was still prompted for admin credentials.

3 REPLIES 3

JustDeWon
Contributor III

Have you tried a chown on the Uninstall.app?

joshuaaclark
Contributor
sudo open /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app

would just use the admin creds to open the app not run the underlying commands to uninstall. I would explore the app package to see if you can find the underlying executable or shell script. Right click on app and show Package Contents. A lot of times you will find what you are looking for. Try running:

sudo /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app/Contents/MacOS/$nameofexecutableisusuallylocatedhere

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

For version 7 of the CrashPlan app the uninstaller script appears to be located at: /Applications/CrashPlan.app/Contents/Helpers/Uninstall.app/Contents/Resources/uninstall.sh. Depending on how CrashPlan was installed you may well need to run that script as an admin because Code42 apparently uses chflags to make life annoying for MacAdmins.