Adobe CC 2018 Suite in a lab environment?

ianmb
Contributor

Our lab systems (10.12.6) have local homes and are bound to AD, but we redirect the following folders to an SMB network share using a login script:

Documents
Downloads
Movies
Music
Pictures

Therefore, the users' Desktop and Library folders stay on local disk.

We are receiving reports from users that some of their Adobe CC apps crash on startup, such as Premiere Pro and Illustrator.

Is there anybody successfully running the Adobe CC 2018 suite in a lab who might be able to advise on what I am missing?

4 REPLIES 4

shannon_pasto
Contributor

Hi.

I can confirm that the Adobe CC 2018 suite works with redirected folders. The only app we have issues with is Lightroom, but that's becuase you can't store the catalog on a network volume. Other than that, Premiere Pro and Illustrator do work. We only redirect Desktop, Documents and Pictures.

We haven't done anything special to our setup. They're pretty much the stock standard app installs. The only real different is our Macs are running 10.13.3, having said that though the previous version of Adobe CC worked in 10.12.x without issues.

Cheers,
Shannon

jhaney
New Contributor

Shannon are you doing individual app installs or packaging them together?

nigelg
Contributor

Can I ask @ianmb I have toyed with redirection in High Sierra but found that if I wanted to redirect for example the Documents, folder, I first had to delete the /Users/<username>/Document folder before I could set up my symlink which required removal of a "everyone Deny/delete" flag on the users document folder (or any other home directory folders that we wanted to redirect).

Is that the method you are following? Also, do you have issues with file locking with SMB from Windows servers?

ianmb
Contributor

We ended up removing the redirection for Documents, we just ran into too many issues.

Most of our students are copying projects to external disks when they'd finished with them in any case.

For information, here is the script that we are using (with a few minor local modifications).