Adobe Reader DC FeatureLockdown

tyler_sparr
New Contributor

With the release of Adobe Reader DC and all its cloud integration, we decided to start looking more seriously at FeatureLockdown using /Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Reader.plist. The problem I'm having is that there are exactly two examples I can find out there and one of them doesn't really even apply to our environment. I'm by no means an XML expert, but I thought I was following the instructions pretty clearly. Can anyone help me out with why this XML file isn't working?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>DC</key> <dict> <key>FeatureLockdown</key> <dict> <key>bUpdater</key> <false/> <key>bAcroSuppressUpsell</key> <true/> <key>cServices</key> <dict> <key>bUpdater</key> <false/> <key>bToggleAdobeDocumentServices</key> <true/> <key>bToggleWebConnectors</key> <true/> <key>bDisableSharePointFeatures</key> <true/> <key>bAdobeSendPluginToggle</key> <true/> </dict> <key>cSharePoint</key> <dict> <key>bDisableSharePointFeatures</key> <true/> </dict> </dict> </dict> </dict>
14 REPLIES 14

agevans
New Contributor

I'm having similar trouble with the com.acrobat.pro.plist. Have you found anything that works? I can get the bUpdater key to disable application updates, but I can't get any other keys to work. I am particularly interested in "bToggleAdobeDocumentServices". We would like this "feature" removed in our environment.

Two things that I notice in your plist that could be causing trouble. 1. You do not have a closing </plist> at the end. Maybe that got cut when you copied the text?
2. Are you sure you are using the correct hive? I was having trouble trying to use the "DC" hive when I finally figured out that we are using the "2015" hive.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/whatsnewdc.html

Does anyone know how to to activate "bToggleAdobeDocumentServices"? The example below is how I think it should be formatted by reading the Adobe Documentation.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>2015</key> <dict> <key>FeatureLockdown</key> <dict> <key>cServices</key> <dict> <key>bToggleAdobeDocumentServices</key> <true/> </dict> </dict> </dict> </dict>
</plist>

lisamcray
New Contributor II

I'm at the end of my rope with this. I've read and re-read the Adobe documentation, and find it to be of little to no assistance. The only plist value that seems to work has been bUpdater. Nothing else seems to work. I am using the 2015 hive and XCode to edit/modify the com.acrobat.pro.plist. I have a colleague who has been successful with locking down feature on Windows, so that makes it doubly frustrating that the Mac plist has been so unsuccessful.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@lisamcray are you editing the plist with Xcode then launching Acrobat?

If so, you're probably running into preference caching.

lisamcray
New Contributor II

I ended up using the Adobe DC Customization Wizard and these edits with Xcode. Since this is for a healthcare organization, I had to try and lock down any and all features that synch documents with the cloud. One can't be too careful with PHI. You'd think that would be something that Adobe would consider . . . but I digress.

This removes the following: Options for Document Cloud and Add Account from the Storage list, the Sign In option (top right), the Mobile Link Toggle (bottom left) and disables In Product Messages that encourage cloud storage.

This code has worked on my and another test machine, so I've built a profile to get it into the hands of beta testers. ede5db1176394be8b0cd13bb13881dde

kbach
New Contributor

I have a working plist which I had to work with Adobe Enterprise Technical Care Team to make work.

For those of you want to contact Adobe support for this product in the future, send email to: techcare@adobe.com - they will assign a case and a tech will contact you directly, generally within 24 hours.

I also have a working Adobe Acrobat XI plist if anyone is interested which locks down appropriate preferences. PM me if you want it.

com.adobe.Reader.plist for Adobe Reader DC 15 Classic Track:

f8574adcb80d475a87ef298fe6b02650

plist must reside here: /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences with a restart to take affect.

russeller
Contributor III

Text version of above

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>2015</key>
  <dict>
    <key>FeatureLockdown</key>
    <dict>
      <key>bUpdater</key>
      <false/>
      <key>cGeneral</key>
      <dict>
        <key>bToggleCustomOpenSaveExperience</key>
        <false/>
      </dict>
      <key>cServices</key>
      <dict>
        <key>bToggleAdobeDocumentServices</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleAdobeSign</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleDocumentCloud</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleDocumentConversionServices</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleFillSign</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleMobileLink</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleSendAndTrack</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleWebConnectors</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bUpdater</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bUsageMeasurement</key>
        <false/>
      </dict>
      <key>cWebmailProfiles</key>
      <dict>
          <key>bDisableWebmail</key>
          <true/>
      </dict>
    </dict>
   </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

thoule
Valued Contributor II

I finally got mine to work. Don't know why, but I couldn't use emacs or textwrangler to generate a plist. I documented my process here. Todd's Blogs

rqomsiya
Contributor III

Here is an example of a working plist that disables all cloud integration for Acrobat Pro 2017

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>2017</key>
  <dict>
    <key>FeatureLockdown</key>
    <dict>
      <key>bUpdater</key>
      <false/>
      <key>cGeneral</key>
      <dict>
        <key>bToggleCustomOpenSaveExperience</key>
        <false/>
      </dict>
      <key>cServices</key>
      <dict>
        <key>bToggleAdobeDocumentServices</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleAdobeSign</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleDocumentCloud</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleDocumentConversionServices</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleFillSign</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleMobileLink</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleSendAndTrack</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bToggleWebConnectors</key>
        <true/>
        <key>bUpdater</key>
        <false/>
        <key>bUsageMeasurement</key>
        <false/>
      </dict>
      <key>cWebmailProfiles</key>
      <dict>
          <key>bDisableWebmail</key>
          <true/>
      </dict>
    </dict>
   </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Not as helpful for reader, but in case it's helpful to anyone, here's my notes for anyone looking to create custom Acrobat package (with your own plist) with creative cloud packager

Youtube reference
Working plist as of 8/2017
More info on available plist keys

Create package with CCP

Copy CCP packge and plist to another mac with cust wizard installed
Show package contents on CCP install and navigate to Contents - Resources - Setup - APRO folder - Acrobat DC folder

Move package in that folder to desktop. Copy name of that package to clipboard

Create new folder on desktop, customized package

Open customization wizard, no need to enter serial

Point it to installer on desktop

Check boxes for accept EULA and enable feature lockdown - select plist

Click ok, when prompted to save it, save wherever but name it what is on the clipboard

Move created file back to CCP install - Contents - Resources - Setup - APRO folder - Acrobat DC folder

File should now install customized with our key and customized settings in the plist

casper100
New Contributor II

Currently working on this. I work at a hospital and they cant use cloud. For some reason when I try to use wizard and follow your steps it says there was an error and to check the log. There is no log for me to check.

grahamrpugh
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Does this work as a configuration profile or only as a manually created plist?

E051826
New Contributor

Hello grahamrpugh, did you get it to work with configuration profile?
For us it works with plist but not with Configuration Profile

lmeinecke
New Contributor III

rqomsiya,

Does this Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 (classic) solution still work for you? I cannot seem to get it working even after a reboot. Looking at the Adobe documentation it almost seems like they've limited these cloud services restrictions to DC products.

lmeinecke
New Contributor III

I believe I just answered my own question. I changed my plist version (the one rqomsiya posted) from 2017 to DC. Removed 2017 and installed DC and now it works. It appears the cloud based service restrictions are no longer allowed on classic tracks and only work on continuous.