after pre-stage imaging, wait for logon then policy check?

camilo_carranza
New Contributor

I'm running prestage imaging for computer labs. After installing the OS with prestage, I have it set to reboot the target computer(s). They reboot and auto logon to an account created as a part of prestage imaging.

After the reboot, after logon, I need a policy check to trigger the policy I'm using to install all the needed software. (I'm not installing the software during prestage imaging because much of it needs to be installed while a user is logged in, or the installation fails.)

JSS is, unless that's been fixed already (which I've not heard it has), having issues with not adding computers to a site correctly, during prestage imaging. This means that my policy is, presently, not part of a site, because that would keep it from running on computers imaged via prestage. This keeps

Also, despite that prestage imaging is supposed to set a specific Department for target computers, this sometimes fails.

I have script set to run 'at reboot' to add the correct Department... but that, too, seems to sometimes fail. My script runs as a part of prestage imaging. I've had it run 'after' and 'at reboot', and it's been hit and miss on success/failure from both angles of attack.

I need:

1) a reliable way to get my target computers added to a Department (at startup after prestage, or as a part of prestage imaging itself)

2) a reliable way to, after a specific user has logged in, trigger a policy check

Anyone know of any solution(s) or have any suggestions on how I can meet my needs?

1 REPLY 1

pthepthongsene
New Contributor

1) Are you looking for an automated method to add to a department and not finding the computer in Jamf pro and adding a department to the user/location.

2)I would open terminal and run 'sudo jamf policy' to get it to run the policy that the machine is scoped to receive.