Am I out of luck?

dnayes
New Contributor III

An iPad was returned to me that was long considered lost.  It was gone so long that it was deleted out of jamf. The iPad however, still has the mdm profile installed along with all of the restrictions that we push out to our student iPad. This means I cannot wipe the iPad from the iPad itself to re-enroll.   So I plug it into my computer and try to wipe it via apple configurator 2. A lock icon appears when it's plugged in and will not allow me to wipe from configurator either. I then try and boot the iPad to it's "restore" mode and try and restore the iPad via configurator. It spits out an error there as well.  If I had to guess I am unable to do anything because of a restriction that is still sitting on the iPad from when it was enrolled, but being that it is no longer enrolled I have no way of removing the restrictions if I can't wipe it.  Am I screwed?

9 REPLIES 9

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

You'll need to put the device into Recovery Mode before you can wipe/restore it.  Once you do that, as long as it's not in Recovery Lock, you can set it up as a new device.  If you're deleted the record from Jamf, it will have a new Jamf ID when it enrolls and will only get apps/profiles that are in scope based on it's membership in any smart groups.

dnayes
New Contributor III

Oops I mean to say I did get it into recovery mode before attempting to the restore. It's early and I couldn't think of the name : )  This has me wondering if it is in recovery lock. 

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 8.05.16 AM.png

jcarr

Ah, ok.  Wasn't sure if that's what you meant by "restore" mode.  This looks like an error with Configurator on the macOS device.  Perhaps try removing the K36BKF7T3D.group.com.apple.configurator folder and/or a different device with a different USB cable?

dnayes
New Contributor III

One of my thoughts was that it was me just updating to Ventura, so I did try on another Mac using Monteray and ran into the exact same issue. I will try removing that folder though. 

jcarr

Odd.  Trying a different device (preferably a clean install) would be essentially the same as removing the folder on your device.  I suppose you could try a DFU mode restore, but if that also doesn't work, you may need to contact Apple Support or take the device to an Apple Store.

dnayes
New Contributor III

I am indeed out of luck I think. I was able to get the iPad into DFU mode for restore and hit the same configurator error. There is no Apple Store here so I'll reach out to their support. Thank you for the assistance!

vagabon
New Contributor III

Close configurator and restore using Finder instead, maybe?

dnayes
New Contributor III

Interesting. I have not used Finder for a restore before. I will give it a shot! 

dnayes
New Contributor III

No-go on the finder.  I get a message that pairing is prohibited. Which is what I was afraid of.  The device is no longer in jamf so I cant remove old restrictions, and because of restrictions I can wipe and re-enroll. A true catch-22.