Android Studio - Deployment for non-elevated users

jimmy-swings
Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm looking at deploying Android Studio through Self Service for non-elevated users. I've uploaded the dmg file, and written a script to move the .app file to /Applications on each users machine. The package is dependent on JVM, so I've also packaged the JDK and have deployed that. My current challenges are:

1. Once deployed, users are prompted with a message that this application was downloaded from the internet. I've tried using the spctl to add a label but to no avail...
#!/bin/sh
spctl --add --label "Android Studio" "/Applications/Android Studio.app"
spctl --enable --label "Android Studio"
  1. On the first launch of Android Studio, the application downloads and installed supporting artefacts. One of these requires elevated rights... Has anyone packaged Android Studio and is able to provide any tips?

Thanks, Jaems

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

To get around the first issue you could either create a new package for it with Composer, or possibly remove the quarantine flag in your script with:

xattr -c -r /path/to/app

For the second issue, you could either package up the additional content as part of the deployment so the users don't need to, or edit the authorisation db to allow that particular function, or (something I've had to do with XAMPP) is to add sudo rights for the binary that is performing the action.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

To get around the first issue you could either create a new package for it with Composer, or possibly remove the quarantine flag in your script with:

xattr -c -r /path/to/app

For the second issue, you could either package up the additional content as part of the deployment so the users don't need to, or edit the authorisation db to allow that particular function, or (something I've had to do with XAMPP) is to add sudo rights for the binary that is performing the action.

Question for you even though I know this is an old thread - did you deploy XAMPP through Jamf?  If so, can you give me some information on this as I am not having any success.  Thanks!

sugaaloop
New Contributor

Jaems,

I was hoping you could show what you did to allow the standard users to run the setup wizard. Right now, I have the .app, the intel haxm install, and the sdk in a self service package with a post script that copies the sdk to the current user's Library. However, as you were, I am still prompted on the first run to finish the installation through the setup wizard. What is the missing piece?

Thanks,

Bob

BGV652
New Contributor II

Hello Bob,

I am struggling with the same problem that you have mentioned.
Have you found your missing piece to skip the setup wizard?

Thanks

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

This is what we used when we package it last year.

After you've done the initial setup wizard, capture these files using Composer and push it with Fill User Templates (FUT) and Fill Existing User home directories (FEU) ticked.

androidStudioFirstRun.xml
gradle.settings.xml
jdk.table.xml
other.xml
usage.statistics.xml

Located in ~/Library/Preferences/AndroidStudio/options

jimmy-swings
Contributor II

Hey @Kumarasinghe - how do you manage updates?

10PAR35H10
New Contributor II

Use Patch Management to push updated pkg uploaded to jamfcloud to make it available in Patch Management

shrisivakumaran
New Contributor III

Repacking for update the Android Studio is not working. After updated it show error.
Anyone can help me to repackage Android Studio for updating the existing app 

Shri Sivakumaran