It's been shared on Slack that Jamf Pro 10.2.1 has been delayed for Jamf Cloud customers. This is apparently the second time there has been a delay in an update since v10 was released. I was just wondering what the implications are for non-Jamf Cloud customers. Does this mean that there are issues with Jamf Pro v10.1.x and v10.2.x that we should be aware of? Are the issues strictly related to the Jamf Cloud infrastructure?
Hello @bpavlov ,
Yes, the Jamf Pro 10.2.1 cloud upgrade was delayed, and we have sent out communications to our cloud customers. To answer your question about why, we found a new product issue that was too significant to move forward with the upgrade.
Here’s a quick summary of the issue: There are certain scenarios where third-party apps that do not conform to Apple’s standards for versioning (leading zeros, too many components, etc.) cause MDM errors when those apps are loaded into a customer’s app catalog. This can eventually bring down your Jamf Pro server. While there are few apps that don’t conform to Apple’s standards, there are enough out there to warrant a fix.
We are currently working on that fix and it will be made available for all customers soon. Stay tuned for an official communication for when it will be available. In the meantime, please reach out to your support representative if you have any additional questions. Thank you!
Thanks for being transparent about this issue in your explanation. We're already on v10.1.1, but it's good to be aware of this issue.
It sounds like this particular issue effects more than just Jamf Cloud customers. I'm just curious, is there any reason that the update wasn't necessarily pulled from the Assets page? It sounds somewhat serious. Or is it a case of where if you're already on v10, that you would already be effected and may not necessarily see the update if you're not running into apps with weird versioning?
I know circumstances are always different depending on issues with different releases, but my hope is that if something like this were to happen in the future that all customers would get notifications if it effected Jamf Pro and wasn't specific to just Jamf Cloud. Explanations like the one you gave are always appreciated.
Thank you @bpavlov ! Very good point and we're always looking at how best to handle situations like this. We've been evaluating severity and whether to pull down assets before a fix is in place. I'll keep you posted. First step was a call to delay automatic upgrade and learn more about the issue.
I'm a cloud customer and did not receive the communication that @joe.bloom references - the last email I have was "Jamf Pro 10.2 now available" on February 13th. The only mention of 10.2.1 that I find is here on Jamf Nation, and - as @bpavlov states - on Slack.
Also - when you say "...delay automatic upgrade..." - are some customers upgraded automatically? Since transitioning to the cloud we have scheduled updates by contacting our buddy, as per instructions in the release emails; we've even skipped some (like 10.2 - we are still running 10.1.1-t1513360285 as the enhancements didn't warrant something else getting broken, as seems to be the case lately). Automatic updates would be a big deal breaker, so hopefully I'm not shooting myself in the foot right now by pointing this out...
Not a cloud customer, but I would also like to know why a couple of these updates have not been pulled. I've heard that the reason might be because "it only affects a small percentage of our customers" ... well, it seems to be your largest, clustered customers. MUCH better QA and pull that stuff when aware please. Thank you.
BTW, support does a great job of communicating w/ us (and we hope it continues) ... I would prefer to avoid the drama that comes w/ many of JAMF's releases though (difficult to internally test for many of these heavy load scenarios).