Any reported issues installing 10.12.6 updates on 2016 MacBook Pros?

macmanmk
Contributor

I've had three users in the past week and a half whose machines were rendered inoperable following installation of the 10.2.6 combo update. The updates were pushed via an update policy in JSS. In each case, the laptop was powered off when the user arrived. On powering up the machine, they receive a black screen that "critical software updates are required." I tried to connect the machines to wi-fi, but received messages that the machines couldn't connect. Ultimately I had to connect a USB-C Ethernet adapter to get the updates downloaded and then the machines successfully booted. Has anyone else had a problem with these updates?

4 REPLIES 4

AndreasRumpl
New Contributor III

Sounds like something went wrong with your combo update (policy). The "critical software update" part happens for us only when we completely wipe a 2016 or 2017 Macbook Pro and the book then needs to re-download the security parts needed for the touchbar (and the touch id sensor).

Maybe you can use this for your updates: Update with Fullscreen Message
We use it for Full Upgrades but it also works for "smaller" 10.12.x Updates.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Did Apple fix the FV2 auth restart issue?

https://github.com/kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade/issues/13

--
https://donmontalvo.com

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

Were these MBP models with the touch bar?

I think it's related to this thread.

I'm running in to the issue after upgrading to the 10.12.6 Combo Upgrade, so I think it wipes the TB partition for some reason. Even connecting to a wide open WiFi network isn't working for me.

gabester
Contributor III

@macmanmk I think @PhillyPhoto links to what we saw in our environment. Haven't seen it for the Sierra 2017-001 Security Update yet, but as more of our touchbar users apply it, if there's a related firmware update with the Security Update or if it messes with the EFI partition we may see this again.

Adding to the fun in our environment there isn't wide-open access to Apple's servers, and a local security agent was also preventing some of the TouchOS state traffic - because, you know, it lines on its own separate all-internal en port so that traffic was getting blocked as suspicious. So if we didn't disable that security agent from single user the required critical software update prompt would recur again on reboot.