Anyone have a good solution/app for backing up contacts?

nsbickhart
Contributor

Our mobile devices are pretty locked down.  We don't allow iCloud, and iTunes is not really a good option for backing up .  We have a few departments that are heavy on contacts and it is always an issue if they need to wipe the device or upgrade to a new one.  I've seen some apps out there.  Just wondering if anyone has a good solution or recommends an app?  Thanks in advance.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/easy-backup/id545198169

6 REPLIES 6

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Why don't they store the contacts to an email account?

nsbickhart
Contributor

That's what I always tell our users, but they don't listen.  And then they cry when they get a new phone and the Verizon content transfer doesn't work.  I guess Verizon content transfer works pretty good, I just personally haven't had luck with it.  Last couple times I tried it, it bombed out on me.

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

How about using iTunes to back up the phone? Quite honestly, you should set a standard policy for your users. If they forget to store the contacts to an email then it's their responsibility to get it back not you. To me, this will teach them a valuable lesson in following simple instructions. IT should not be spending time figuring out what contacts are missing on a phone, that's the user's responsibility and you shouldn't spend any time doing that. You have better and more important things to worry about. That's how our org does it. 

Oh, Im with you 100% and that's basically the way it is.  We are pretty locked down, iTunes isn't really a good solution for us.  I do push folks to put their contacts in their email, but they don't listen, so... it is what it is.  You're right though, we probably need better communication for users to use email to backup contacts, problem is...nobody ever reads the communications lol!

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Whether you are locked down or not, if people do not read the basic guidelines of how to store their contacts then it's on them and their responsibility not you. You can give them the time to do that part and then you can do the whole data transfer. The expectations and policies need to be communicated, otherwise, they WILL expect you to do everything and restore everything. That is not how IT functions. You should bring this up to whoever you report to.  At the end of the day, it comes down to setting policies/expectations/procedures to cover yourself and your department. That way if a user complains, you can direct them to the policies that your department sets. 

HTTPError503
New Contributor II

I agree with @junjishimazaki, this is not how an IT department should function and "nobody ever reads the communications" is not an answer to the issue, nor should it be accepted by the management team.

I would type up a set of easy to follow instructions on how to add your contacts to email, maybe even with pictures. Once completed speak with department heads to get them up to speed and on-board before sending the communication off. This would be great topic for a leader during coffee shop talks, or whatever your org calls informal group discussion. As far as the users who refuse to comply, which we all know you will have them, simply transfer the contacts yourself when you have to wipe/replace their device next. At that time you then have an opportunity to hand them a copy of the instructions and email communication.