Anyone partake in Adobe RUM now that final version is out?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Final is out...anyone using it? Care to share strategy? Are you using with or without AUSST? Self Service? TIA

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creativesuite/enterprisedeployment.html

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/creativesuite/pdfs/AdobeRemoteU...

PS, I added "Adobe Renote Update Manager (RUM)" to the Third-Party Products page, but doesn't show up yet so I set this post to "AAMEE".

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
9 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

taugust04
Valued Contributor

I've been using the beta version since earlier this summer, and recently updated the version installed in our environment to the final 3.1 version. I'm using it in conjunction with an AUSST. I have a shell script stored in Casper that runs RUM. We have a normal policy in place that checks for Apple software updates weekly at login. I amended that policy to run the RUM if Adobe CS6 is installed.

I've seen some issues with updates getting hung-up if the system is at the loginwindow, but I believe that has to do more with how Adobe is writing and packaging their updates than the RUM software itself. Overall, I would say it works well in conjunction with an AUSST.

We don't have self-service implemented, so we're not using it via that methodology...

~Ted

View solution in original post

acdesigntech
Contributor II

when I was building our CS6 packages, I did a VERY quick test with AUSST and RUM and it all went swimmingly.

Haven't done much use case testing, just a few simple tests while I was packaging.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I went with /usr/local/bin for no particular reason.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Since this was an Adobe product, I decided to add it to:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

...and created a directory called RUM, and installed the binary there.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

That's true. My shell script is coded to run it from the directory I created. I'm still a novice in terms of my scripting skills and best practices. Although it's not a standard path for UNIX binaries, I like to keep Adobe products isolated from the rest of the system as much as possible :-).

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

My computers are in a lab type of environment. I have updates turned off in AAMEE since the users are not admins and use RUM to maintain updates. I don't use an Adobe update server, so they are all pulling straight from Adobe.

Setting a policy to run RUM is actually quite easy. Once you download the binary, place it where you want it to be on your target systems, drag that file into Composer, and package it up. Then in the advanced tab of the policy you create, you just enter "/path/to/RemoteUpdateManager". Scope it and trigger it however you like and it works like a charm.

As far as I can tell, I'll never have to worry about repackaging an update to my CS packages. It's the easiest thing Adobe has created to date.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

@Don. Yes we are in a better place. Just feel a little push is needed for the whole solution to work smoothly with updated clear documentation.

tfriedm
New Contributor III

Thanks for all the input and youtube videos.

I also want to thank Karl Gibson, Product Manager Enterprise IT tools, Adobe Systems Europe Ltd and he helped me figure out my install issues for RUM. It's actually quite simple once we went through my install doc. Here's an updated process that works for me.

Running Adobe Remote Update Manager without AUSST packaged with the Jamf Suite

“NOTE: Adobe Remote Update Manager is only for a subsection of Adobe Desktop products. It can not be used for browser plug-ins such as Flash Player and for Adobe Reader, Acrobat Professional, and Adobe AIR application updates.”

From: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creativesuite/enterprisedeployment.html, download the RemoteUpdateManager.dmg. The RUM files are also installed in the Utilities folder under: /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/Enterprise/Utilities/ when you download AAMEE 3.1.

Once you open the .dmg file, you’ll see the following: AdobeRemoteUpdateManager.pdf
InstallRUMManPage.sh
RemoteUpdateManager
RemoteUpdateManager.1

Start Composer

Place only the RemoteUpdateManager file onto the client, (we used: /private/var/tmp*)

*In order to package /private/var/tmp, you need to temporarily allow Composer to see this location. By default, Composer will ignore this location. In Composer, go to the Composer menu and click on Preferences. Next, go to the Exclusion List tab and scroll down until you find /private/var/tmp/, click on it, and then hit the - or remove button. Save the changes and proceed with the packaging. When you are all done, reset the exclusions to the defaults.

Take a snapshot. (I called it: Adobe Remote Update Manager.pkg) and place the .pkg into Casper Admin.

Then, create a Self Service policy called: Adobe Remote Update Manager (RUM). In the Packages tab, selected the Adobe Remote Update Manager.pkg

In the Advanced tab, I entered the following command: /private/var/tmp/
/remoteupdatemanager

You can break this up into two Policies. One just places the Adobe Remote Update Manager.pkg on clients with Adobe applications installed and the Self Service Package is just the command line for the users to be able to run updates as needed.

Local install Test:

On the client run the following from a command line: Sudo /private/var/tmp/remoteupdatemanager

Verify that it’s running by monitoring the log files at: /Users/(user account)/Library/Logs/
Select: RemoteUpdateManager.log

An online tutorial showing how to configure AUSST and package RUM can be viewed on Adobe TV at: http://adobe.ly/NsxrY1

42 REPLIES 42

sk8559
New Contributor III

Hi @tfriedm @mscottblake @donmontalvo @taugust04 , Please help with RUM deployment. My case is - We have many users who has installed multiple adobe apps from different sources. We use jamf pro to manage all our mac systems. Now as part of app updates we need to update all the adobe apps" supported by RUM". I am new to composer and adobe deployments 1st question is - does RUM work in my scanrio ? if yes, how can i silently/forcefully install RUM on all managed mac's by jamf. I saw your above instructions for the package the RUM, honestly i am new to composer. I see below file when I run the dmg file. AdobeRemoteUpdateManager.pdf
InstallRUMManPage.sh
RemoteUpdateManager
RemoteUpdateManager.1
When I double click on sh file just a script open up does nothing, when click on exec file it just give "zsh:bad cpu type in exceutable/volume/RUM/Remote update manager/Remoteupdatemanager" and does nothing Because i am new your steps are not clear to me how to create package. I used the snapshot method in composer by running the sh and exce file nothing captured. I haven't tried with just drang and drop method.

tfriedm
New Contributor III

Hello sk8559, I'm afraid that I have not be actively supporting Adobe packaging for a few years. Also, at the time when I wrote my suggested fix, Adobe apps were managed as individual licensed apps and not part of their current cloud suite, so I don't know if the steps that I listed will still apply. I'll review your post and if I find any information, I'll post a response. Todd

tfriedm
New Contributor III

I also placed this info in your other post: I think this link should answer your question: https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/using/applications.html. If you go down to Manage updates remotely, you'll see that RUM only works on Managed Packages. Users that are downloading the apps directly are not supported by RUM.