App Management with iOS 7

jpellet2
New Contributor III

At WWDC Apple talked about the changes towards app management and the ability to recall VPP codes once deployed (assuming that the device is enrolled in an MDM solution) as well as a slew of other features. It doesn't seem that Casper 9.1 has this ability yet. Any word on whether or not these features are available now with iOS 7, are we waiting for Mavericks Server or any other information?

9 REPLIES 9

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

It's posted for 9.1, but I haven't had a single moment to play with it so to even look for the feature in the documentation.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Just talking to our regional Apple Engineer now.

Basically, Apple really doesn't have the new VPP program ready yet and so the MDM providers can't enable all the new features yet. It is coming but not quite yet.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

From our Apple SE…

"Over the next few weeks and months further information will be coming on features such as Streamlined MDM enrollment, App Store license management, Caching Server 2 and Under 13 Apple ID’s."

Guessing the "App Store license management" is the VPP piece you're referring to... Sounds like its on its way.

RWitt
New Contributor II

If you are a developer there is a set of white pages on it on the Apple Developer website. It involves account migration over to this new system which is licensed based. From what I read and what made me dissapointed is that it is not backward compatible for apps that have already been purchased only for new apps purchased after the migration.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

"From what I read and what made me dissapointed is that it is not backward compatible for apps that have already been purchased only for new apps purchased after the migration."

If that's true, we'll be contacting apple for some sort of resolution. We've spent thousands on VPP.. not going to go over well here to say buy them again if you want to take advantage of the great new VPP license model features.

RWitt
New Contributor II

Don't get too frustrated yet that was the impressions based on what I was reading and not an official word from Apple.

jpellet2
New Contributor III

All good news. I had assumed that it wasn't quite ready but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

fgsdepinon
New Contributor

Will this new feature also allow Apps to be deployed from the JSS without the end user needing to enter an Apple ID/Password on device? I would love to be able to push out an App or App Update without the end user needing to do anything, especially when we are talking about elementary students.

MrP
Contributor III
Will this new feature also allow Apps to be deployed from the JSS without the end user needing to enter an Apple ID/Password on device?

I would like to know this as well.