Apple Business Essentials beta Managed Apple IDs now requiring management profile to login to iCloud

bigben54
New Contributor III

Last Friday a user reported they couldn't log in to iCloud in Systems Preferences on their Mac running 12.1. They have a Managed Apple ID, and there was an error about requiring a profile to log in with a managed id.

Looking into the docs and dashboard further, I can certainly send them a profile from Apple Business Essentials, but of course Macs can only have a single management profile.

Did some testing with a fresh DEP Mac and managed ID, and can confirm this new requirement.

We have of course had standard Apple Business Manager for years, primarily for app store distribution. These IDs were created in there and then moved over to the Business Essentials beta when it went live, and people have been using them to login to their Macs during the beta as well. They are solely for the purpose of Keynote collaboration, which requires system level login to iCloud on Macs, and we got in the beta for the additional storage capacity (they were all locked at 5gb before).

But we now have a situation where Apple is requiring the Mac be managed by Business Essentials (and therefore not Jamf) if we want to use Keynote. This is kinda outrageous when they said it's designed to live alongside other MDM servers, and not compete.

Has anybody else come across this yet?? I talked to support and they thought my read of the changes are accurate, but are still trying to confirm.

1 REPLY 1

bigben54
New Contributor III

If this is true, this will happen to all managed Apple IDs eventually, as it's my understanding Business Essentials will eventually replace old Business Manager.