APPLE CONFIGURATOR AND IOS 9.3.5

ahall80
New Contributor II

I am sure and just wondering why AC only works better on devices 10 or later? When i go to wipe devices this summer and currently testing, AC can only RESTORE the 9.3.5 ones and AC works better with 10 or higher. I have AC 2.7.1 I think.

I basically have a 2 step process.... is there anyway to do the wipe/erase all and start fresh any better ideas would be appreciated.

My school district is only getting 30 new to replace the OLD 9.3.5 devices.

Does everyone know this or is this common?

I want to also make sure that SELF SERVICE IS WORKING PROPERLY

6 REPLIES 6

claudiogardini
Contributor

Maybe i'm missing something. But why do you need Configurator for the new iPad's? If you haven't already i would strongly encourage you to look into Apples DEP Program.

tsossong
New Contributor III

I totaly agree...DEP should be the way to go. Makes so much so much easier.

jfoxbox
New Contributor

I have iPad 2 witch max out with 9.3.5 and so far Apple Configurator 2 cannot supervise - it says an unsupported os. I took another Mac to Mavericks and used Apple Configurator 1.6 and it had the same issue. I need to put these used ipads in supervision but Apple seems to have killed that option.

SengU
New Contributor

I have a scenario for this situation. What if you received a donation of iPads and your organization was not the original purchaser. How would you supervise the device?

AndyCorps
New Contributor

One of our departments "discovered" some iPad2's in a cupboard and want to utilise them. None are DEP enrolled.
tried using AC2 to get them DEP'd, but it just reports iOS needs an upgrade from 9.3.5, which they can't do, and can only restore.

Unless anyone has a solution to get these DEP'd so JAMF can manage them under 9.3.5 we'll have to stick with user initiated enrolment into JAMF or consign them to a secure recycling service...

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Unfortunately a requirement to add iPads to DEP is that they are running iOS 11, so you will not be able to do this with iPad 2s.