Apple ID and iCloud setup assistant option won't run

svonderbruegge
New Contributor II

We are deploying new iPad 10's to our students.  In one of our configuration profiles functionality restrictions restrict "modifying account settings" but that seems to affect the prestage setup assistant option for "Apple ID and iCloud" in that it is not displayed even though it is the only option we have unchecked. When "modifying account settings" is allowed, the setup assistant option IS displayed during enrollment. We do not have "install configuration profiles before setup assistant" selected in the profile because we don't want the profile to enforce any restrictions prior to the "setup Assistant". This is precisely because we do want students to login to their Managed AppleID before the modifying account settings restriction kicks in.

What am I missing?

In the meantime we deploy the iPads with "modifying account settings" allowed and are forced to then manually run an inventory check which we've designed to pick up a passcode and then deploy another config that restricts the "modifying account settings". Hardly a no-touch solution and quite cumbersome.

2 REPLIES 2

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It's not a perfect solution, but if I'm not mistaken, signing in using an Apple ID (managed or personal) during setup assistant will sign that user into iCloud and enable iCloud backup.  You may want to test this, but if this is indeed the case, you can create a smart group of devices where iCloud backup is not enabled, and exclude these devices from the 'modify account settings' restriction.  When inventory reflects that the user has successfully signed in, the restriction will be applied.

svonderbruegge
New Contributor II

Thanks for the idea. It worked but didn't turn out to be any more efficient than what I had previously tried. I still had to manually push an inventory update to trigger. I wish I knew just what restriction is the one that causes the skip over the prestage setup assistant option for "Apple ID and iCloud". Or maybe it just is the "modify account settings" one and we just have to live with manual inventory updates upon deployment. We have an older fleet of iPads that we are replacing and this wasn't an issue prior but with these new devices all coming into our building with iPadOS 16 already loaded I'm suspecting there's enough of a change in that upgrade to be causing this issue.