Apple ID Autofilling

el2493
Contributor III

I'm on 10.5.0 and I have a tech who reports that if a user on a computer goes to the App Store and tries to install an app, it gives a popup box asking for Apple ID and password (as expected). However, rather than the Apple ID showing "example@icloud.com" and allowing the user to write over it, it shows an internal email address (that is used for Jamf correspondence, so it's not like it's linked to the user who's logged in) and it's grayed out and cannot be deleted or written over.

I talked with Jamf Support and as far as they're aware there isn't anything in Jamf that can autopopulate Apple IDs like this. They mentioned that a Configuration Profile that leverages the Restrictions payload can affect behavior of the App Store, but this computer doesn't have any CPs that use Restrictions. I checked on 2 other computers (that also don't have CPs that user Restrictions) and they get the expected "example@icloud.com" in the Apple ID popup window.

Any ideas about what could be causing this? I also noticed that I couldn't remote connect to the computer even after making sure that SSH was enabled (and then also tried kickstarting ARD with no success), so Jamf support recommended removing framework and re-enrolling. I'm going to have the tech try that, but figured I'd reach out in case this doesn't fix the issue.

4 REPLIES 4

philipwoods
New Contributor III

Sounds like you've got a couple of issues there to me, but in terms of the Apple ID in the App Store I can think of only a couple of reasons for that. Either that Mac has been through the app adoption process with Apple and they somehow remember the Apple ID that was used with that hardware, or you've manually installed an App Store app from a pkg which is wrapped in that Apple ID and the App Store is trying to update it.

el2493
Contributor III

@philipwoods, thanks, I think you've got the right idea! I had assumed the user had been trying to install a new app, but when I went to update Microsoft Remote Desktop (which I'd installed via a Jamf policy, though the package was originally created after downloading from the App store) from the App Store on a different computer I got the same popup the tech was getting. Interestingly I don't get the same thing when I try to update Pages, Keynote, or Numbers, but maybe what you're saying about the PKG being wrapped in an Apple ID could explain that. Do you know of any easy way to check to see if a PKG is wrapped in an Apple ID (or to remove it)?

kowsar_ahmed
Contributor

If it is the apps updating it will be linked to whatever apple id downloaded it previously. I'd re-deploy the apps via the VPP method, that should ensure that these apps do not require apple IDs...

el2493
Contributor III

@kowsar.ahmed thanks, I'm also going to look into turning off App Adoption. I'm trying to create a custom Profile that'll only turn that feature off (rather than having to define everything in the Restrictions payload), but I'm still working on it and will need to get an Apple Developer account so I can sign it before I can put it in the JSS.