Apple released 10.8.3

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Following releasing OS X Mountain 10.8.3 build 12D78 to developers earlier this week, Apple today released 10.8.3 to the public with a number of new features and enhancements. One of the more notable new features is the ability to redeem iTunes gift cards using the Mac’s built-in camera within the Mac App Store, a feature that Apple originally introduced with iTunes 11 in November.

Other improvements in today’s release include support for install Windows 8 in Boot Camp as well as Boot Camp support for Mac’s using 3TB hard drives. Users had previously been using workarounds to utilize Boot Camp on Macs with hard drives larger than the utility’s old 2.2TB limit.

The release also includes Safari 6.0.3 and audio related fixes for Logic Pro and 2011 iMacs:

-The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using Mac’s built-in camera
-Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
-Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
-A Fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
-A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
-A fix for an issue that causes audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
-Includes Safari 6.0.3

15 REPLIES 15

ericbenfer
Contributor III

Is it unified? Does it boot everything? Has anyone tested yet?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

i'm downloading the new full intall from MAS now... probably wont get a chance to test till tomorrow. haven't seen teh combo update yet either :(

Not applicable

Just upgraded from 10.8.2 and no issues so far.

neilatosi
New Contributor

10.8.3 app store update broke my internal audio. Built-in speaker and headphones no longer available as choices under output devices (no input devices available either. Flash video playback flickers in Safari and is totally broken in Firefox. Ensured latest Flash version and reset the PRAM etc with no change. Downloading the combo updater now to see if that will sort anything out.

Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro.

neilatosi
New Contributor

Installed combo update over top, no change... :(

Just filed a bug report with Apple.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Probably going to wait. Would have thought after 14 betas it should be stable!

Wonder if the fixed the proper issues I reported.....

Airport DNS caching bug (STILlL)

Ticket Viewer not showing any tickets.....

"Hello Apple I was just wondering if you've fixed the bugs I've reported...(Click)
"Hello"....

If you notice bugs everyone should report them. They may get marked as duplicate but they get bumped up the priority, that's how it works.

Logic Pro and camera gift crap! I don't care about that and surprisingly not on an Enterprise admins list of things to fix!

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@ neilatosi

I just checked those things on mine, they are all fine on my 2012 rMPB 15"

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

mine too. I think you need a rebuild!

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Fyi - i just used CasperAdmin to compile the 10.8.3 image off the new Mac App Store download, and tested it on a Fusion Drive iMac, and it's fine.

However it didn't include iTunes 11.0.2 or Airport 6.2, so those still need to be loaded on the workflow.

mzago
New Contributor III

As far as being unified. It looks pretty good. Take a look at and read the comments:

http://managingosx.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/10-8-3/

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I seem to be having problems deploying our office 2011 to it. Seems to fail out when I ran the officeformachelp version (http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/administration/deployment/casper/). It puts the files down then when it goes to install it errors out. If i manually install it off the same installer package (dbl click the file instead of call via script), it seems okay.

ClassicII
Contributor III

Guys....

I dont know why we are complaining so much.

FINALLY we can redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using Mac’s built-in camera!!!

Its not like we wanted important stuff to be fixed. :)

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

If only I could redeem VPP codes with a camera...

franton
Valued Contributor III

So far only thing we've noticed is that McAfee icon isn't installing, yet the cma process is running.

neilatosi
New Contributor

@jwojda @tkimpton

Sorry, forgot to update.....

An SMC reset fixed my audio issue. Looks like just an extreme coincidence that i ran into that at the exact time that i installed the 10.8.3 update. Found some other posts about people having the same problems on the same hardware, but not related to the update.