Apple TV 4K enrolment (lack of USB)

AndreasRumpl
New Contributor III

The yesterday announced Apple TV 4K has no USB-C connector on the back:
Apple TV 4K specs

As we have no DEP, we have to use Apple Configurator to enrol the Apple TVs into the JSS.

Does anyone know if and how we can enrol the Apple TV 4K without DEP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AndreasRumpl
New Contributor III

Here is the official statement of Apple:

-HighSierra and
-Configurator 2.5 needed and the devices need to be
-on the same network subnet

See:
Apple Support

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

H3144-IT
Contributor II

perhaps it gets time to start DEP + VPP Enrolment for you, unfortunately none of the existing Devices can be enrolled post sale into DEP - at least according to my Apple Representative...

But hey are you not starting to replace all current AppleTVs with new 4k Models anyway snicker

AndreasRumpl
New Contributor III

Yes, you are right that DEP is the way to go, BUT DEP is only available in 34 countries worldwide -.-

H3144-IT
Contributor II

I have created a Question in the Developer Forum about the Challenge

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/259256#259256

Perhaps that will provide some Feedback?

AndreasRumpl
New Contributor III

Awesome - thx!! :)

H3144-IT
Contributor II

I assume, that there will be a Bridging Mode for AppleTV4k via the Gigabit Network Port (!)
alongside with a new Version of Apple Configurator - the later is publicly being suggested to push iOS Apps to Devices, now that iTunes no longer offers the iOS App Store Part.

AndreasRumpl
New Contributor III

Apple Configurator 2.5 was just released.

What's New in Version 2.5
• Provisionally add devices to Device Enrollment Program (DEP)
• Skip Tap to Setup and Keyboard Chooser panes in iOS Setup Assistant • Skip Sign in to TV Provider pane in tvOS Setup Assistant
• Optionally preserve data plan when erasing device
• New profile payloads and restrictions for iOS including Restrict VPN Creation, AirPrint Security, DNS Proxy, and Managed class behavior on supervised student devices for Classroom
• New tvOS payload for AirPlay Incoming Security
Support for configuring tvOS devices running tvOS 11 on the local network subnet

So i guess this will circumvent the issue of the lacking USB port. As soon as the new ATVs arrive, i can test it and update this post or if someone else manages to get his/her hands on a new ATV and enrolls it, it would be nice to update this post with his/her findings. THX

AndreasRumpl
New Contributor III

Here is the official statement of Apple:

-HighSierra and
-Configurator 2.5 needed and the devices need to be
-on the same network subnet

See:
Apple Support

PAC
Contributor

Watch out with Apple Configurator 2.5

we have a mix of Apple TV 3 / 4.

AC 2.5 will not work with Apple TV 3 any more.

Regards
Pete

mickgrant
Contributor III
unfortunately none of the existing Devices can be enrolled post sale into DEP - at least according to my Apple Representative...

this isn't true at all, as long as the device was purchased directly from apple or an authorised reseller after march 1, 2011 its elagable to be put into DEP
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204142

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Does anybody have the 4KTV and Configurator working... I have just spent a few hours.. can't get the TV to show in Paired Devices app.

C

zcrself
New Contributor

I have 4KTV(TVOS 11) and APPLE configurator 2.6.1 paired successfully. (Xcode9) on Macos 10.13
but I can't install my profile on my apple tv 4k.
Because my profile is not signed and my apple tv 4k is unsupervised

gdavis
New Contributor

Am I understanding correctly that there is no equivalent of self-enrollment for Apple TVs? It's DEP or bust?

BeBu
New Contributor

I got the same issue as zcrself. Any Ideas?

cleverleys
Contributor

Hi guys,

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if the Apple TVs end up enrolling into MDM, you can only use it for inventory purposes - you can't remotely deploy apps etc over the air?

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@BB_CC and @zcrself

I think you have to select the prepare button and set up the config on the Apple TV... after that I was able to add profiles..

C

Slicer
New Contributor III

This does pose a challenging task. I just received two yesterday. I cannot install the .mobileconfig for our wirless profile. I can pair them with my MacBook, but all I can do is AirPlay. I anxiously await a solution!

philipwoods
New Contributor III

You can't currently deploy App Store apps to Apple TV, but you can use Jamf Pro to deploy in house apps.

The Configurator over ethernet method of preparation is great. Really easy way of getting devices in to DEP for OTA enrolment in to Jamf.

I had an issue at first, but that was because Apple TV's were running an older version of tvOS. Updated them to latest with a restore and update, then devices were visible in the 'Paired Devices' menu option in Configurator.

Nazareth
New Contributor

i finally got the appletv 4k paired to the mac after a few hours (needed to be in the same subnet, LAN), but another road block is preparing the device. Has anyone had issues during the preparing process? When i select AppleTV to prepare, i have to Erase content to continue. Once Apple TV restarts, i go to through the setup prompts, head to Remote Apps and Devices in settings and repair the apple tv to the mac. App Config will then proceed and then i get an error msg "A cloud configuration is already present on this device". I've checked whether there is an iCloud account assigned but no iCloud account attached.
Any suggestions?

NO DEP
latest App Conf
AppleTV 4k with updated tOS

robby_c137
New Contributor III

@Nazareth Figured out how to DEP enroll a 4K Apple TV over network.

1. Connect ATV to the same LAN (I prefer wired) your Mac is on.
  2. Reset and Update the ATV.
  3. Do not go past the Pair Your Remote screen.
  4. Open Apple Configurator...Paired Devices.
  5. Pair the Apple TV.
  6. Enroll the paired Apple TV into DEP using the Prepare action. The only difference here is to uncheck the Activate and complete enrollment option.
  7. Enrollment done. Log into business.apple.com and move the device to your MDM server (Jamf) as per usual.
  8. Proceed through the Apple TV setup wizard and your organization's Remote Management profile screen as per usual.

benb
New Contributor II

Thank you @robby_c137 this worked wonderfully!