Apple TV - app configs

kowsar_ahmed
Contributor

Hi Guys,

We have some in-house apps that have app configs being deployed. However we have a need to either change some info on certain Apple TVs. Our issue is changing app configs requires us to remove and re-install the app (correct me if there is a way without removing) also I cannot re-upload the in house app and give it a different configs as the app already exists. Eg - in-house app 1 (with base config) in house app 2 (with alternate config) does anyone know if this is even possible? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

kowsar_ahmed
Contributor

Managed to upload the same app by renaming the .ipa file. However would be good to find out if we can deploy the custom app configurations without re-installing the app if at all possible?

mark_buffington
Contributor II
Contributor II

@kowsar.ahmed - If you change the Managed App Config on an already-deployed app, it should just push out a new config file, not the whole app again.

That being said, the app itself needs to be written in a way that it looks for and can respond to new settings values. I’ve seen some apps that require a redeployment, and others that listen for changes in near-real time to be able to respond to changes.

I’m not a developer, so I can’t say exactly how to write code. Jamf Research has shared an Xcode Cocoapod to help developers incorporate app config; perhaps that could help.

https://github.com/jamf/ManagedAppConfigLib

kowsar_ahmed
Contributor

@mark.buffington Much appreciated. I'll take that back to our devs to see if this is something they can do...!