Apple TV Conference Mode Woes

scodavis
New Contributor

I have been fighting with this issue for several years with a variety of Apple TV devices - all newer ones without the USB port built in.  The issue occurs because of two things:

1. Through JAMF, we have placed the Apple TV in Conference Mode.
  2. The Apple TV has been turned off long enough to no longer have a valid certificate for JAMF.

The end result is that the Apple TV is stuck in conference mode, but since it is no longer communicating with JAMF it cannot be taken out of conference mode.  The only option is to factory reset, which then leads to a NEW problem - when I get to the factory reset screen, the remote no longer works to actually select the "Reset" option.  Here is the general process I do:

• Boot the Apple TV that needs a reset
  • Pair a remote to the Apple TV
  • Boot into recovery mode (power cycle multiple times, interrupting the boot each time, until the recovery mode screen appears)
  • Attempt (usually unsuccessfully) to use the remote to select the Reset option and reset the device to factory settings.

The final step above is where it fails, because the remote I just paired to the device no longer does anything to control it.  While sometimes I get it to work on the 3rd or 5th or 10th try, I've never found a consistent method for doing this.

I'm really, really hoping that somebody on here has, because I'm at a loss.

1 REPLY 1

mschlosser
Contributor II

interesting issue. I was having a similar problem with apple tv's; eventually i found out, that if you repeatedly attempt to boot the apple tv, and unplug it during the boot process around five times or so, upon the next boot up; the device will default to DFU mode and then you can restore the firmware, re enroll and scope and push new settings. hope that helps.