Apple TV single App mode

burnhamt
New Contributor III

I am looking into using Jamf to manage multiple TV in a education/healthcare settings. I know that I can setup my AppleTV with DEP and Jamf management. Is it possible to have my single app mode play powerpoint show and/or videos. I want varius members of the staff to be able to log into Jamf and update the content.

I know I can go out and but additional software but I am trying to use the tools and software that are already have in place.

8 REPLIES 8

nvandam
Contributor II

Jamf won't be able to host your content. It'll only allow you to install the app and lock the Apple TV to single app mode. Haven't made any progress with this, but I found this app and it looks pretty cool

engh
New Contributor III

Carousel is pretty popular as well and is something that we (other areas of our University) are currently using. We had them sign the app with our developer cert which gave us an in-house app which we were able to lock down with single app mode. All content is hosted on a server.

We don't run or manage content on the server so I can't speak to how any of that works.

jamf_sam

@burnhamt , just to add on to what @engh mentioned, here is the link to the Jamf Marketplace listing for Carousel. It is admittedly additional software, but it works incredibly well with Jamf. Their office is located just blocks down the street from ours and they have been a great partner to collaborate with.

burnhamt
New Contributor III

@engh - With app developer cert. what are the file requirements for the in house app? .pptx, .ppsx, .mov, .mp4, .png,

engh
New Contributor III

@burnhamt file type to upload is .ica - is that what you mean?

burnhamt
New Contributor III

@engh you said you were able to build your own part to the App. Are you able to build in .pst, .mp4. etc?

Basically what I’m looking at doing is be able to upload slides on a whim without having to each week take the TVs down connect them to a computer and reprogram them.

jamf_sam

@burnhamt Carousel supports images and videos, you can find the full list of Apple TV supported media types here: https://www.carouselsignage.com/knowledgebase/carousel-for-apple-tv-media-constraints

Just this last week, I exported to a movie directly from Keynote and uploaded to our Carousel server. The new version of our slideshow was up and running on multiple Apple TVs within moments, and this was at ISTE with really rough WiFi.

engh
New Contributor III

@burnhamt What @jamf_sam said - The files go directly into the Carousel server (AFAIK since we don't actually manage the Carousel servers) and as such, I'm not 100% sure what file types are supported. If the link that @jamf_sam provided doesn't completely answer your question, you should contact Carousel to find out for sure.